Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Remote Procedure Call Failed -Toshiba e3055c print driver install

I have a Win 10 Home Premium computer, 64 bit that experienced an automatic update and loaded the new Microsoft V4 Universal print driver.

Note this is not the same as the Toshiba Universal 2 print driver.

You know it when you see it because the driver when opened displays a black background and looks completely different. The end user was complaining that when using the Microsoft V4 driver the printer did not respond properly to many different print commands.

I thought OK, I will just install the Toshiba Universal 2 print driver.

I then got this message, "Do you want this app from an unknown publisher to make changes to you device. NTPrint.exe"

I clicked through and all went OK until near the end of the install procedure I got a pop up message saying "the Remote procedure call failed".

There was Bit Defender antivirus malware software installed. So I disabled all and tried to install the Toshiba Universal 2 Print driver again with no luck.

I went to Control Panel, Services, Stopped/ Started the Print spooler and tried to reinstall the Print driver with no success.

I restarted the computer and tried to install the Toshiba print driver and was again stopped by the "Remote procedure call failed" message again.

Any idea what is going on and how to get past this error message?

Thanks,

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: Remote Procedure Call Failed -Toshiba e3055c print driver install

Hi, I searched "the Remote procedure call failed" and found some similar troubleshooting steps on many sites related to:

"Type Services into the start menu search box.

In Services, scroll down to "Remote Procedure Call" and make sure the status says "Started"

and set to Automatic.

The second "RPC Locator" should be set to "Manual".

If the issue persists, as a workaround you may perform an online scan on your computer and check if the error message is caused due to malware or any virus"

Before installing again the Universal Printer 2 back I would uninstall any drivers related to Toshiba in Devices and Printers (the control panel one and not the printer app), click on any printer there to show up on top the Print Server Properties->click here and go to Drivers and Remove driver and driver package and start a fresh install, hope this helps
    Defects are simple, our mind is complicated

The customer is located a five hour drive away from me but I do have a local service tech to help me. I cannot drive back there for one computer as this is not strictly a copier issue. The Office Manager knows the problem was created by a Windows 10 automatic update.

I did install TeamViewer in hopes of a solution to be found.

I also did the same Google search the next day and found similar results.

I did uninstall all Toshiba drivers but the Microsoft V4 driver will not go away. I did not want to leave the customer without an print driver so I did not totally eliminate the V4 driver via Print Server Properties found at the top of the Devices & Printers tab.

The computer was protected at all times by Bit Defender against viruses and malware.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

If you haven't tried this yet, you can also install the print driver in the Print Server Properties-Drivers tab (you need the unzipped driver version to scroll for the inf file) and if successful manually add the printer by it's IP address and choose the driver.

For the V4 driver please make sure no print jobs are stuck in the queue, delete driver in the Devices and Printers and after go in Print Server Properties and remove. If it says 'driver currently in use' restart the Print Spooler and start again.
    Defects are simple, our mind is complicated

Technician

Win 10 auto loads the v4 driver if WSD is enabled on the copier. You can disable it in the copier thru the web interface or you can turn off auto discover devices in windows.TA.jpgAuto load V4.jpg

Great tip! I have never had a reason to use WSD so I will add disabling it on my next few installs because I am no fan of the Windows V4 driver compared to the Toshiba Universal 2 driver.

I would like to keep the easy ability to Scan to FileShare so I would be reluctant to turn off Network Discovery in the Control Panel.

Technician

You don't need to turn off network discovery just the "Automatic setup of network connected devices"

We set up a short cut to the file share using the ip address "\\xxx.xxx.xxx.xx\file_share". Of course this is after setting a static ip address. If not static, you can use the mfp name "\\MFPxxxxxxxx\file_share". The only issue that you may run into is SMB version. Win10 disabled SMB v1.

Those sneaky buggers at Microsoft added another line item in Windows 10 that I now have to remember to disable.

When Win 7 is discontinued in Jan 2020, six months from now, a lot of people are going to be in for a shock.