Technician
    Set duplex off as default for all windows10 profiles

I am deploying Toshiba estudios (various models) locally with a universal driver using a .vbs script ie wmi using objNewPort, objDriver, objPrinter etc etc. This is intentional vs shared on a server, using group policy etc.

When a user logs in for the first time the printer(s) are always set to duplex and must be set to 1 sided printing in printing preferences and it’s causing a lot of headaches.

The driver version is 7.176.3851.6. I am more or less locked into using this due to company policy with software.

When specifying objPrinter.Duplex = True I get the following:
    Error: Object doesn’t support this property or method: ‘objPrinter.Duplex’ Code: 800A01B6

Does anyone know how to default these local printers to 1 sided printing? (preferably with a script of some sort?) It’s not clear to me where these settings are saved, seems like it could be a mix of registry, somewhere in appdata or -?

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by hardware_failure; 05-15-2019 at 10:50 PM.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: Set duplex off as default for all windows10 profiles

duplex is set as default in the driver and user defaults are independent so..no..not without potential driver breakage and lack of support.

but..I think you can use the toshiba driver customization tool to roll your own customized version and it will still be the version base you listed then deploy that driver...not done this myself.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Set 08-8795 on the copiers to 0. When the driver queries the printer via SNMP, this code tells the driver whether to default to single sided printing or double sided printing.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

RE. Pre-programming printer settings.

Send the required escape sequence PCL code to the printer prior to sending the page data.
    htttps://www.pclviewer.com/resources/reference/
    Printer Command Language Reference

PCL Escape code Example:
    Escape ^ equals 0x1B.

^&l0s {Simplex mode}
    ^&l1s {Duplex long-edge}
    ^&l2s {Duplex Short-edge}

There are quirky little shareware Apps on the internet the allow escape codes to be sent to the printer before the user page is sent.

Try the following niffty little printer App.
    htttps://copy-to-printer.software.informer.com/
    Copy to Printer Download - An utility that will send any file directly to any printer Windows knows of

HTH
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Quote Originally Posted by hardware_failure View Post
    I am deploying Toshiba estudios (various models) locally with a universal driver using a .vbs script ie wmi using objNewPort, objDriver, objPrinter etc etc. This is intentional vs shared on a server, using group policy etc.

When a user logs in for the first time the printer(s) are always set to duplex and must be set to 1 sided printing in printing preferences and it’s causing a lot of headaches.

The driver version is 7.176.3851.6. I am more or less locked into using this due to company policy with software.

When specifying objPrinter.Duplex = True I get the following:
    Error: Object doesn’t support this property or method: ‘objPrinter.Duplex’ Code: 800A01B6

Does anyone know how to default these local printers to 1 sided printing? (preferably with a script of some sort?) It’s not clear to me where these settings are saved, seems like it could be a mix of registry, somewhere in appdata or -?

Thanks for any help.
    Wow thinking to deep. Simply go to devices and printers, right click go to preferences and under finishing set to simplex and apply. Done. Computer guys simplify. You can do this and I bet you do not know. HP wrote the pcl language so all you have to do is install hp 4200 pcl 6 driver rename it toshiba and put your ip in and you are printing simplex. Yeah so simple. No worries but a little effort.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Wow thinking to deep. Simply go to devices and printers, right click go to preferences and under finishing set to simplex and apply. Done. Computer guys simplify. You can do this and I bet you do not know. HP wrote the pcl language so all you have to do is install hp 4200 pcl 6 driver rename it toshiba and put your ip in and you are printing simplex. Yeah so simple. No worries but a little effort.
    This is what I am doing now, manually setting to simplex. I've used HP drivers before but users need all of the finishing options avaialbe from the toshiba driver.

If driver is on a server
    Under printer defaults advance tab
    set printer default to simplex should hold that setting

You can go under support page on Toshiba site enter model # click on e- bridge prior versions, You can also download fullinstaller. You can depending on os system select have no disk select pcl v4 or you can use post script then set send by range and print as image. You can also after installing any of the drivers click on properties and then device settings. Click on Auto update. The self assigning wsd port driver will appear and it is not set to duplex change wsd to ip. Toshiba can drive you crazy with stupid crap. Oh. wait a minute. Windows ten is controlling your local computers and if that is the case once you print once from all programs and set simplex prior then all is solved windows ten will remember your application. I have been going thru this for the last year but with all i have said i have gotten it right in all my accounts.
    Last edited by Edward; 05-23-2019 at 03:17 AM.