Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I can turn a screw... 250+ Posts pacman's Avatar

Re: Fax frustration - 3555c / 457

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    lines going out when it rains = PISS POOR LINES! improper installation and/or water compromising the integrity of said lines.

Glad to hear you got it sorted out!.
    Oh, we're nowhere near a resolution my man

I'm gathering as much info as I can. I also asked them for a direct contact to Cox if they have one.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Fax frustration - 3555c / 457

Quote Originally Posted by pacman View Post
    Oh, we're nowhere near a resolution my man

I'm gathering as much info as I can. I also asked them for a direct contact to Cox if they have one.
    Woot, the boards are back up!
    Sorry i thiught by this statement it was fixed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pacman View Post
    Woot, the boards are back up!

Rspicer - do those codes work with a straight digital line or is there a different set up?

I know the fax plugs into their wall with an RJ11 connection. PAST there, I don't know what their setup is. Customer swears they do not have a VOIP system, but I have a feeling that the line is digital.

Also, one more piece of info - every time it rains, they have fax issues.
    The only lines I've tried these codes on were VOIP. They worked, but there were very few, so I may have just gotten lucky. Plus it was a couple years ago, so there may be some changes. Since I've gotten away from Toshibas (working on Sharp and Canon now), I have seen very few problems connecting to digital or VOIP lines. I'm not sure why the Toshibas seem to be so picky.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rspicer View Post
    The only lines I've tried these codes on were VOIP. They worked, but there were very few, so I may have just gotten lucky. Plus it was a couple years ago, so there may be some changes. Since I've gotten away from Toshibas (working on Sharp and Canon now), I have seen very few problems connecting to digital or VOIP lines. I'm not sure why the Toshibas seem to be so picky.
    those settings are GENERAL settings... for each brand AND each model I have found that other "tweeks" are needed.

the info to accomplish that is USUALLY in the Accessories/Fax/NetAdmin type service manuals.

like I said before.. Brother dumbs their shit down SOOOO far that EVEN an end-user with Basics+ skills can get the shit working.. their Tech Support deals MAINLY with end users.

Canon-Ricoh-HP-Xerox etc rely more on 'trained dealer techs' to deal with their product lines.

but plug in the basics and run from there.. contact tech support (if you can) and I'm sure ANY valued tech here will be more than willing to give input.

(firmware and manuals usually require a Contribution to CTN)

I can turn a screw... 250+ Posts pacman's Avatar

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand, drum roll please.........

Customer has a digital line somewhere in the chain!!!! I KNEW IT. It goes from analog to digital somewhere in the building. Cox was 100% suggesting an ATA between the machine and the wall.

So, with that being said, should I try changing to the VOIP settings or do I just drop to 9600 and disable error correction? Really going to push customer to a 100% analog line OR something else altogether like a fax to email program. Just need to know next step IF neither one are an option for the customer.

I swear, someone needs to start a reality copier tech / IT guy reality show. I'm sure it would be funny for a few hundred of us at least.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

The fully analog phone line is really the only answer that brings you reliability and meets the medical security requirements. You won't convince them to use an E-fax solution. They just won''t do it.

Keep in mind that those setting changes intentionally prevent the errors from stopping the communication, BUT THERE IS STILL DATA LOSS. Even if you stop the errors from occurring, the line hits will be noticeable.

They've been telling us that faxes will be obsolete any day now. I can't wait. They just don't get along with VOIP phone lines. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

First off..I hate fax..HATE IT!

anyway..are not the newer Toshiba models now compatible with the VOIP systems?..I seem to remember that coming up in a monthly Toshiba meeting that all the new black fingerprint accumulation/ipad machines' fax boards have settings for/ are compat. with VOIP .

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent128 View Post
    First off..I hate fax..HATE IT!

anyway..are not the newer Toshiba models now compatible with the VOIP systems?..I seem to remember that coming up in a monthly Toshiba meeting that all the new black fingerprint accumulation/ipad machines' fax boards have settings for/ are compat. with VOIP .
    I don't see how that helps with the existing eS3555C and eS457. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    I don't see how that helps with the existing eS3555C and eS457. =^..^=
    It doesn't ! - sorry, it was just me asking a tangent question and de-railing the conversation.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

VOIP = "VOICE" Over I.P.

VOIP lines really aren't designed to run faxes, but by "Dumbing Down" the fax settings you can get them to work reasonably well. If you ever talk on a VOIP line, you'll hear these occasional glitches or gaps from the other end. Our ears can compensate for that so we don't really notice it unless we listen for it. If a FAX hears one of those glitch/gaps, it says.... "What was that?, and then the fax transmission will crash.

The BEST way to run a fax is over an analog, standard twisted-pair phone line. If you start inserting A-D converters in the signal path, that's where your first point of failure is going to be.

People have been saying "Faxes are going away" just about as long as they've been saying, "Copiers are going away, and we'll all be paperless very soon!!"

...I'm not seeing it.