Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I can turn a screw... 250+ Posts pacman's Avatar

Fax frustration - 3555c / 457

Hey all,

First off, thanks for everyone's help with the com 10 envelopes. Those settings worked like a CHAMP out in the field!

Now, I have a issue that has infuriated myself and my customer to the point of no return in regards to faxes being sent. Let me provide some history:

We've had 3 brands of machines in this customer's location - Okidata 5502mbfx, Samsung 6555n, Toshiba e3555c and soon to be a Toshiba e457. Every single machine we've placed in this location has had fax issues at one point in time or another. It then becomes a you-know-whatting contest between us and the phone company, in this case, it's Cox. Usually the issues get squared away, but this time it's been about a year with more issues than not.

This company does a very large amount of medical faxing due to Hipaa compliance. They do desktop faxing via the Toshiba fax driver. We're talking hundreds of pages in a single fax. We've already replaced the fax board, hard drive AND swapped the machine out (3555c) and now we're going to be taking a 457 since they are not utilizing color. If this doesn't fix the issue, I have no idea what to do.

I was at the customers about 2 weeks ago. Cox came out and revamped everything in the building. Customer tells me they've faxed thousands of pages successfully. Customer calls me yesterday. All of the sudden they've had issues since Friday. I ask customer for the journal and almost everything is NG 00D0, 00B5, 00D1 with a few OK's interspersed in between. I have the customer also FAX me the journal. 1 page and towards the end the transmission blurs, starts stretching and finally cuts off before the end of the page. I've uploaded the original journal he scanned and emailed to me as well as what he faxed to me. Copytech fax-082019082128.pdf

Cox is telling us to drop the modem to 9600 baud and disable error correction. I don't see anything where I can change the baud rate, nor do I understand why dropping it so low is going to help anything. We are at our wits end and every single thing I can think of points to the carrier and not to the equipment. If anyone has a sure fire way to say "this is the equipment's fault" or "this is the carrier's fault" I'm all ears. Or if anyone has a solution or other things to check, let me know. I am banging my head against the wall here.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: Fax frustration - 3555c / 457

Quote Originally Posted by pacman View Post
    Cox is telling us to drop the modem to 9600 baud and disable error correction. I don't see anything where I can change the baud rate, nor do I understand why dropping it so low is going to help anything. We are at our wits end and every single thing I can think of points to the carrier and not to the equipment. If anyone has a sure fire way to say "this is the equipment's fault" or "this is the carrier's fault" I'm all ears. Or if anyone has a solution or other things to check, let me know. I am banging my head against the wall here.
    since they are telling you: 9600b and no ECM.. indicates that they have setup a VOIP system. refer to your service manuals for VOIP setup.

frankly COX should have made this clear from the git-go. older fax mods used ANALOG lines VOIP are digital.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    since they are telling you: 9600b and no ECM.. indicates that they have setup a VOIP system. refer to your service manuals for VOIP setup.

frankly COX should have made this clear from the git-go. older fax mods used ANALOG lines VOIP are digital.
    I've checked with the customer just now - They are not running a VOIP system at all and if I remember correctly, their fax line is totally separate from the rest of their phone system.

Also, looking through the fax service manual and the regular service manual for the 3555c - can't find a VOIP setup. Am I looking in the wrong spot?

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

I haven't been inside a Toshiba for almost a year now, but I have this list of settings that was posted on the Toshiba Tech Bulletin Board a while back. They are all settings in the 13 mode.

Fax Settings for VOIP
    13-104 Turns off DTC/LCC forPSTN Set to 0
    13-110 Turns off DTC/LCC forPABX Set to 0
    13-117 Turns off Dial Stop for noresponse Set to 0
    13-335 Modem Speed to 9600kbps Setto 8
    13-569 Turns off V.34 Modem Set to0
    13-571 Turns off SUB/SEPpassword Set to 0
    13-574 Disables JBIG, sets compressionto MH/MR Set to 2
    13-971 Turns off Short Protocol Setto 0 (not in EBN)
    13-391 Turns off ECM Set to 0

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Firstly, the medical office that I struggled with definitely was using VOIP. And yes the $99 Brother did seem to communicate, I don't know how.

After extensive experimentation with the fax settings, I was able to get a large proportion of the faxes to go through. then the complaints about line hits began: "why the compressed images?!!" You know all that data that is being corrupted as it comes across the VOIP phones lines? This is exactly what it looks like, just without the error messages.

Somewhere around the 20th visit for the same issues a manager happened to be standing within listening distance as I gave a variation on the same explanation. The manager speaks up: "Why are we still screwing around over a $60 analog phone line? Get an analog line in here today." I haven't been back in the last 2 years.

=^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by rspicer View Post
    I haven't been inside a Toshiba for almost a year now, but I have this list of settings that was posted on the Toshiba Tech Bulletin Board a while back. They are all settings in the 13 mode.

Fax Settings for VOIP
    13-104 Turns off DTC/LCC forPSTN Set to 0
    13-110 Turns off DTC/LCC forPABX Set to 0
    13-117 Turns off Dial Stop for noresponse Set to 0
    13-335 Modem Speed to 9600kbps Setto 8
    13-569 Turns off V.34 Modem Set to0
    13-571 Turns off SUB/SEPpassword Set to 0
    13-574 Disables JBIG, sets compressionto MH/MR Set to 2
    13-971 Turns off Short Protocol Setto 0 (not in EBN)
    13-391 Turns off ECM Set to 0
    Oh, this is freaking AWESOME. We are going to try that asap. I'll also have to scour FYI looking for this doc to give to my techs.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Firstly, the medical office that I struggled with definitely was using VOIP. And yes the $99 Brother did seem to communicate, I don't know how.

After extensive experimentation with the fax settings, I was able to get a large proportion of the faxes to go through. then the complaints about line hits began: "why the compressed images?!!" You know all that data that is being corrupted as it comes across the VOIP phones lines? This is exactly what it looks like, just without the error messages.

Somewhere around the 20th visit for the same issues a manager happened to be standing within listening distance as I gave a variation on the same explanation. The manager speaks up: "Why are we still screwing around over a $60 analog phone line? Get an analog line in here today." I haven't been back in the last 2 years.

=^..^=
    Brother, you've summed it up quite nicely! That's where I am now... Lol.

Brother, you've summed it up quite nicely! That's where I am now... Lol.
    After working on a lot of brands.. yes even tho Brothers are POS the fax is strong ... but the print engine in most of the line are crap.. supplies coslty and too often fail before EOL.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Woot, the boards are back up!

Rspicer - do those codes work with a straight digital line or is there a different set up?

I know the fax plugs into their wall with an RJ11 connection. PAST there, I don't know what their setup is. Customer swears they do not have a VOIP system, but I have a feeling that the line is digital.

Also, one more piece of info - every time it rains, they have fax issues.

Also, one more piece of info - every time it rains, they have fax issues.
    lines going out when it rains = PISS POOR LINES! improper installation and/or water compromising the integrity of said lines.

Glad to hear you got it sorted out!.