Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Copier Technician 250+ Posts

3511/4511 firmware ... Mia Culpa

I want to state for the record that I will not be offering any more assistance regarding firmware ... for any copier. I have been replacing hard drives and installing firmware in a multitude of Toshiba copiers for the past 5 years and very rarely have any problem with it. However, I have been to seminars on firmware installation and have performed countless updates. I know all the variables involved.

It is my fault for giving out firmware to people unfamiliar with the update process and all the potential pitfalls. It seems by providing firmware to untrained individuals I have caused more damage than good; I apologize and will not do that again.

bflora
    My 2 cents... it would be a shame for a group like this not to have experience like yours at it's disposal.

My personal experience... the information you have provided through the many posts i have read has been invaluable. I've mucked up a machine or two in my time and take it as a lesson (it's technology... it can be fixed, or it wasn't worth it to begin with). I've even recently mucked up a 3511. I in no way hold you accountable. Your instructions were right on. I have no doubt my personal Toshiba experiment has everything to do with some combination of a tempermental machine and my own inexperience with the specific equipment.

While i could say more, i'll simply close with this... Please reconsider.

B

Quote Originally Posted by bflora View Post
    While i could say more, i'll simply close with this... Please reconsider.

B
    I hope I did not sound like I was going to quit helping. That certainly is not the case ... I need help quite often myself. I just think it is better for the less experienced not to mess with firmware without immediate support by their side. Toshiba has somehow convoluted the process of upgrading firmware to the point you have to practically be a software engineer just to install it. I wish they were more like Ricoh, who has firmware updating down to a no brainer.

No, I will continue to help out on the forum as always ... and hopefully have something good to offer. I am only getting out of the firmware business.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    3511/4511 firmware ... Mia Culpa

That's why I don't jump in on Sharp firmware upgrades. It's a risky business at best, and I've downed a few machines over the years learning the pitfalls. Also, I no longer have access to current Sharp firmware.

Copystar/Kyocera firmware is pretty much bulletproof, as long as you leave the main power switch on until it's finished. I've downed 3 or 4 of these doing firmware, but my success rate is considerably better.

I have to agree with my canine friend, though. It's just a bad idea to have amateurs upgrading firmware.

This only goes to show that we all don't fight like cats & dogs. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Lightbulb Online copier Assistance Service Program

You know, I think somewhere deep in this group of talented individuals, you could turn your frustrations of helping inferior minds into profits, buy offering an online service for those up and coming technicians and the "do-it-yourselfers".

Maybe this has been done already and failed but I would think it would be worth some time in though at least.

Something like either a membership fee with say different levels of membership based on proven skill level. The better the answer and more frequent the answers are given to the requester the cheaper the membership or even a payback from the system. I know why pay when you can get it for free, but just think with the right combination of payment vs reimbursement there may be something here.

You could kill 3 birds with one stone. Get the help you need, provide help and make money at the same time. It may also weed out only the serious minded.

Anyone been down this road?

NCPiper
    Ummm, I thought one could not "provide firmware".
    If a tech or dealership does not have access to firmware, there is probably a reason.
    Even with that stated, I believe that any person or dealership ** who has been approved as an authorized dealer** that is handing out firmware is, well....let's just say I think it creates potential exposure for both individual and dealership.

Quote Originally Posted by Baphomet View Post
    It seems by providing firmware....

Quote Originally Posted by NCPiper View Post
    Ummm, I thought one could not "provide firmware".
    If a tech or dealership does not have access to firmware, there is probably a reason.
    Even with that stated, I believe that any person or dealership ** who has been approved as an authorized dealer** that is handing out firmware is, well....let's just say I think it creates potential exposure for both individual and dealership.
    You convinced me. Since divulging any technical information at all creates "potential exposure" I will cease from posting on the forum at all.

A Horn blower I see from your Avatar. Fitting I guess.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts turkeyfoot's Avatar
    I think its fine. Although I dont understand why you would feel the need to provide firmware it seems very considerate at the least. My opinion is the people who ask for it already understand the potential pitfalls of accepting internet advice and taken in that vain know that they are cutting corners by accepting it and probably feel a whole lot better that they can offer a possible solution rather than nothing.

I would just add a caveat to your chartible undertakings to warn off those that haven't applied the necessary skills. Something like "use at your own risk". The warning may not be enough but you can at least tell them "I told you so." I've always tried these things in a controlled setting first (factory schooling) and even then sometimes it blows up.

I'm surprised to find all the information on this forum but it appears to be helping. Its been a long time since I worked in an enviornment where I didnt have the resources to find the answers to things, usually its just a matter of how long it takes me to find it. Where I work everything is locked down on your computer with licenses. I would never help a dealer in my geo area and would balk at offering it elsewhere because they are really in competition with me or my compadres since I work for a national service organization. Besides I cant figure out where to get the time. Its great to see the willingness to help!

NCPiper
    Well, here I am making trying to help a brother out by letting him know that he might be getting himself into a situation and then I am accused of being a hornblower????

My intention was only to inform...not report. I see this is a friendly forum. Thanks.
    I don't need to member a member of another small-minded forum with paranoid people.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    A Horn blower I see from your Avatar. Fitting I guess.