Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

Toshiba LCT - HELP!

I have a new (last year) 55cpm Toshiba with an external paper source for high volume. It ran over 300K carefree copies over the last 8 months. Then the thing did not obey the overrun lift switch, broke both lift pulleys and the big brown lift gear. Had to disassemble to drop the paper and get the drawer open.
    1) Broken parts replaced. Tested.
    2) Did same thing a week later. Broken parts replaced along with both P.I. switches for lift stop and overrun. Tested.
    3) Same thing 3 days later. I found the actuator for paper lift stop on the shaft 180 deg backward???? Corrected, repl lift pulleys, Tested.
    4) Same thing. Paper is lifted past the overrun switch. WHAT'S GOING ON?
    Now I have new lift cables, 2 more pulleys, a lift gear and the LCT PCB control board for tomorrows visit. This is nearly looking like a logic problem. I have heard that these LCT's are unreliable and break all the time. Gosh, there are only a couple dozen parts, and it is easy to see how the thing works.
    My credibility is out the window here, and this customer (and me) are justifiably MAD!
    Someone PLEEEASE help! I cannot be beaten by a box of parts!

Thanks in advance!
    dcopylady

Vulcan Inventor of Death 1,000+ Posts Mr Spock's Avatar
    I think that there was a bulletin about the lift gear and a one-way bearing or torque limiter, or friction clutch that can be put on back wards causing this type of issue. After it is assembled check the lift and drop before adding paper and make sure of the correct operation. It should lift smoothly and drop slowly not a sudden drop. Also check/replace the paper sensors (tell it when the paper needs to be raised) located on the feed unit.
    And Star Trek was just a tv show...yeah right!

Technician

LCT lift issue

Thank you Mr Spock..........yes, I had to fix another rep's LCT with 1-way gear on backward. Sounded like an engine block dropped on the floor when opened! heh heh heh!
    When paper hits the paper detecting actuator (located in the front at the top), it's shaft rotates, moving pick-up rollers with flag attatched into the lift stop sensor. There is a second flag on the same shaft for the overrun. (shock!) Oooh, maybe the flag is no longer secure on the shaft? Hmmm, keep it simple, right? Well, I'll be sure to check that tomorrow. So why, when I test it, it appears to work just fine stopping when it should?
    Thanks for helping me think! Let me know if anything else comes to mind...

Best Regards
    dcopylady

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

LCC

Waths about the Platen to put the Paper on ? somethimes broke the pins at left and right it seams to work fine normaly but the paper when lift up dont actuat the Lift up stop sensor it rotat to much and the gears will broke!check please the hinge of right and left side were the platen is fixed with the cable the platen hase not to move to much!
    Good Luck

Technician

Toshiba LCT

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Waths about the Platen to put the Paper on ? somethimes broke the pins at left and right it seams to work fine normaly but the paper when lift up dont actuat the Lift up stop sensor it rotat to much and the gears will broke!check please the hinge of right and left side were the platen is fixed with the cable the platen hase not to move to much!
    Good Luck
    Good stuff, Thank You Harry! I was there today. Repl PCB and inspected the entire wire harness for damaged wiring. Cleaned all the PI's with compressed air. Filled it 2/3 full and watched operations up/down " " " " . Then ran 600 copies from it to see it lift incrementally. Everything operated just fine. (just kike the other 4 times!) We'll see!

Thanks for the tip!
    Regards
    dcopylady

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Lct

Your welcome dcoylady
    Have a nice week