Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Technician

3511 - Light print from computer

Hi Everyone,

Im a little dismayed, we have a 3511 that gets little use (20 - 50 prints a day mainly in black and white)

Please keep in mind colour copying is fine.

Out of the blue last week without any ramp up of the problem, print from our computers results in light prints - particularly on black and white, jet black text is fine, but grayscale's are washed out completely.

I've cleaned the drum (spent toner) and checked the developer unit, there seems to be no issues.

I've run 05-395 and 05-396 - this helped a little but the prints are not crisp like they were the day before the copier started this.

We have also received a CF-40 error twice out of the blue since this started occurring, (hence why i checked the drum and developer unit)

I just dont understand why the issue seems to be limited to print.

If anyone can offer a hand, I would appreciate it.

I should note, its almost like the contrast on all computer prints has been turned up. The results are exactly as if you upped the contrast on a copy. (This fault is persistent off multiple computers)

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Did you clean laser unit slit glass?

BR

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts
    In admin mode, perform all 4 calibrations (Copy, PCL &PS 600 &1200 dpi). Do these calibration printout look acceptable, and if so, does the MFP accept the new calibration scans without any error messages? Get back with your results and we'll try to help, but without this info, I hesitate to try any thing else. EMujo

Technician
    Yes, have performed the calibrations and the black / grey gradient is terrible. The colour gradient looks fine.

I have not cleaned the slit, I'm fairly new to this model. I have checked the service manual and have the disassembly instructions, but this doesn't really make sense - colour copies are fine.. then again the only copy i did was exceptionally vibrant and saturated and the four pass result may have looked acceptable.

It would make some sense if the slit is dirty. There was a fair amount of toner dust in the laser cooling fan, even thou I only cleaned it about 3 months ago.

Is there a way to see or clean the slit without removing the whole optical unit?

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts
    No, but with Finisher out of the way, and left side panel off, laser is easy to remove. 2 screws for dust cover, 1 screw for unit itself, and 2 connectors on LGC bd. Can you upload 2 items for me.
    1 Copy of printed image
    2 Electronic copy of image

Sounds like problem is with process black. K is last laydown and form your statements, CMY look fine. Lack of K would make the colors a little bright. Black copies and prints are OK?

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by emujo View Post
    Sounds like problem is with process black. K is last laydown and form your statements, CMY look fine. Lack of K would make the colors a little bright. Black copies and prints are OK?
    black copies are fine (because I can up the contrast to full) and black print is bad. Greys pretty much aren't there, and even black lettering looks poorly defined.

I'll check out the optical unit in the morning and report back..

Repair God? not quite 100+ Posts fireater's Avatar
    remove dum unit . remove the toner bottle assy (leave hopper in) now you should see the laser slit glass .... clean it... clean the image quality sensor above the transfer belt (right hand side) clean the colour dev sensor and grey reference plate (left side) DO NOT TOUCH THE GREY PLATE VACUUM OR BLOW OFF ONLY. clean the colour toner insertion sensor and the also clean the colour dev rotaion sensor. These machine dust horibly these senors are always dirty. do the calibrations 05-395 05-396 05-1642 05-1000 to 1003
    I fix copiers ...Well Sorta

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by fireater View Post
    remove dum unit . remove the toner bottle assy (leave hopper in) now you should see the laser slit glass .... clean it... clean the image quality sensor above the transfer belt (right hand side) clean the colour dev sensor and grey reference plate (left side) DO NOT TOUCH THE GREY PLATE VACUUM OR BLOW OFF ONLY. clean the colour toner insertion sensor and the also clean the colour dev rotaion sensor.
    Im not sure how to access the image quality sensor or the plates.

Sorry Im using my knowledge of four pass colour lasers and my service manual so apologies for my lack of knowledge.

Repair God? not quite 100+ Posts fireater's Avatar
    its such a complicated machine ... do u have the manuals? cause step by step instructions would take me forever to type in
    I fix copiers ...Well Sorta

Technician
    yes i have the service manual for the 3511. No offense to Toshiba, but its terribly layed out and hard to follow at points.