Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Technician
    just curious...

You mentioned about putting blk developer in the magenta developer unit.

It is possible to put magenta developer unopened refill bottle from another toshiba copier into this 4511 unit?

The reason I ask, is because...

we had purchased an old lexmark optra laser printer at a computer show where some guy was selling pallet loads of them for $40 each.

We bought one, got back home, only to find out the toner was empty in it.

Note, we had a bunch of surplus black toner sitting on the shelf for years. There was no label on the bottles, but the bottles were sealed up. I can not remember where we got the toner from, but we had it for years.

So rather than paying premium prices for the lexmark genuine toner cartridges, we simply cut open the toner cartridge that was empty that came with the lexmark, and refilled it using a bottle of this old surplus toner that we had on the shelf, just to see if it would take it.

That was over 8 years ago we bought the lexmark, and the machine has been using this unknown brand of toner all this time and to date still prints flawless every page, never giving us a single ounce of trouble. We have nothing invested into all of this surplus black toner, and just been pouring it into the lexmark when it gets low. About the only maintenance we do is replace the fuser wand every refill. The machine has been the greatest little printer that we've owned, such a good workhorse.

I understand that not everyone is going to go out on a limb and try something like that, but we had $40 tied up into it, and we took the risk and it paid off. We have all these bottles of black toner, (no label, no information) and the lexmark swallows it up with no problem, prints great copies.

Granted, this toshiba is a little more expensive of a machine and we can't afford to risk it on this machine. But I figure it was worth asking to see if possibly toshiba uses the same developer material throughout their line of copiers, to where as long as we fill the developer with the correct amount of developer, that we could use this other toshiba magenta developer at no risk.

I did a little bit of research and it is possible to find closeout prices on magenta developer refill for various toshiba machines online, so I was seeing if one of these other toshiba refill bottles could be put into this 4511 to refill it without causing damage.

If there is an honest risk of damaging the machine, then of course it isn't worth it, but I figure it was worth at least asking the question, and if other developer could be used the payoff could be make it very worth while.
    Last edited by KPC; 01-05-2010 at 07:41 AM.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    I think that 4511, 451c, 3510c share the same color developer but I doubt you will find any on closeout. Not sure about the older Toshiba color models. I'd be more inclined to try "rigging" it with the black dev. anyway because it is cheaper. If you have another machine of the above models you could rob dev. out of that machine, doesn't have to be the right color just follow the above "procedure."

I forgot you were working on a 4511 and not a 451c, accept my condolences and I think it is really amazing you are still working with it after all this time and have not pushed it out into the dumpster.

Technician
    ok, so I purchased the genuine Toshiba 4 developer refill bottles maintenance kit.

It was coding out on the CF20, 08-823 said that Y & M were the problems.

So I refilled the developer cartridges per the instruction manual.

In the manual it also said

3.2 Adjustment of the Auto-Toner Sensor
    When the developer material is replaced, adjust the auto-toner sensor in the following procedure.

(1) Install the cleaner and developer unit.
    Note:
    Do not install the toner cartridge.
    (2) While pressing [0] and [5] simultaneously, turn the power ON. The following message will be
    displayed.

Key in a code and press the [START] button.
    Code 200: All developer materials 201: Developer material Y 202: Developer material M
    203: Developer material C 204: Developer material K 206: Developer material Y, M, C

I refilled the M developer first, and keyed in 202 - it took

then I refilled the Y developer and keyed in 201

during the 201, it codes out CF40

[CF40] Light amount correction voltage abnormality
    (1) Specify the developer unit with the abnormality by checking the setting values of 08-823-0 to 08-
    823-2. (When the value is “1”, an abnormality occurs.

I went back and checked 08-823 and it is no longer showing a "1" for magenta (as stated above, when running 05-202 for M it took), but in 08-823 it is still showing a "1" for yellow

I tried clearing the 1 to a 0, shutting down, restarting and running the 05-201 again, and it codes out to CF40

I went back and checked 08-823 it is still showing a "1" for yellow

I cleaned the auto-toner sensor - i checked the shutter

Is there something that I forgot to clear out after installing the fresh developers?

Any idea why it is coding out 08-823 it is still showing a "1" for yellow and when running 05-201 it codes out CF40 on the Yellow developer?

it is doing all of this after I just installed a fresh bottle of developer material into the y developer cartridge

Here is a screen shot of what the screen shows right before it codes out CF40

Last edited by KPC; 02-01-2010 at 01:07 AM.

Estudio 4511 CF20 error - toner density - Color auto-toner sensor

That'll be a toughie! Since it didn't code out with magenta, i'd suspect one of 2 things usually, (have had both happen) 1: the Y dev unit's mag roller doctor blade height isn't correct (adjusted with a feeler gauge) or 2: bad batch of Y toner. At least that's the way it's panned out for me in the past!

Regards!
    A.

Technician
    quick question, why does it say

Do not install the toner cartridge.

What happens if the toner cartridges are installed when running 05-201

Does it cause the toner & developer to dump into the excess catch tank?

I had the toner cartridge installed when running 05-201 and noticed an excess amount of what appears to be developer in the catch tank.

This might have been a bit of a costly error not noticing in the manual that it said to pull the toners when running the 05-201

Usually its to keep the machine from adding toner when its rotating the revolver (by accident by gravity) and messing up the calibration of the auto toner adjustment.. However if the machine's pulling dev then there's another issue @ hand.. are all the hv contacts ok on that dev unit (compare against the m dev with cal'd ok according to you). Toner add is done typically by a toner add motor as well but that won't keep gravity from dropping some in as the revolver rotates.. I wouldnt think a large amount would drop in by gravity, but it's been quite some time since I've seen one these boxes and don't recall if I auto-tonered them with cart's installed or not.

Regards!
    A.

Technician
    well, get this..

earlier, I refilled the Yellow & Magenta developers with new genuine toshiba refill developer bottles

I installed them, and ran the proceedures as discussed in post 23

After running 05-201 & 05-202, I looked at the yellow & magenta developer distribution across the mag roller and it looks extremely thin

So I checked the excess toner bottle, and it weighs like a pound

It looks like that in the process of running 05-201 & 05-202, it dumped every ounce of developer that I just refilled, into the excess toner catch tank.

Was this my own stupid fault for not more carefully reading the manual where it said to remove the toners before running 05-201 & 05-202,

I did have the toner cartridge in when running the command

But still, that is 2 bottles down the drain. Thankfully I don't have much money wrapped up in these two bottles (found them online on clearance). Because initially I called toshiba and they wanted $200 per bottle.

That would have been $400+ down the drain just in developer, not to mention any toner that was wasted (the toners feel lighter, so I don't know how much of this it dumped)

Did I mention that I hate this machine.

Did it dump all of this fresh developer just because the toner cartridges were installed?

You looked... and...

A.

Oh yes according to my book (unless things have changed since then), the doctor to sleeve gap should be set to 0.55 by feeler gauge (if you have the handbook the adj is on page 3-53. Can cause cal probs if too narrow or too large!

Technician
    I checked the gap and it is set correctly.

Any other ideas why the new developer dumped so quickly.

I noticed that only the Yellow & Magenta dumped, the cyan didn't dump

So it has to be something related to running 05-201 & 05-202

because cyan's number is 05-204 I didn't run 204 because the cyan developer didn't need refilled.

So because of running 05-201 & 05-202, that must have dumped the fresh developer in only Magenta & Yellow

Any ideas. because I'm going to have to order in 2 more bottles of Magenta & Yellow, and when I refill them the second time, I can't have them dump it again.

Yeah it wasnt one of my fav machines either, never had one dump like that tho unless something else is wrong electrically or mechanically. I haven't looked back through the thread, has anything else been removed/reinstalled in the machine... the colour autotoner sensor is a non contact optical sensor (it looks @ the mag brush) so that leaves a possible HV issue somewhere in the machine. Maybe poor dev bias or lack of charge or maybe charger arcing out and causing the drum to suck the dev off of the mag roller... The reason you may only have lost the 2 devs it probably because when you run the mach in 0-5 and the subsequent 20x code is that the revolver only rotates to the dev ag position for that colour then returns to the colour autotoner sensor to check the brush.... check any/all hv contacts. Check charger in particular for arcing/poor contacts. has been known to not seat in machine properly and cause issues as such... yeah this box is a charmer!

Regards!
    A.

Get the Android App
click or scan for the Copytechnet Mobile App

-= -= -= -= -=

IDrive Remote Backup

Lunarpages Internet Solutions

Advertise on Copytechnet

Your Link Here