Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    lorianneliz

Lightbulb Toshiba e-Studio 3511c

Having a couple of problems, hoping someone can help...

Machine had the "red light - call for service" indication, so we did. Prior to doing so we noticed the machine was VERY hot around the power button area and below. I know it's supposed to be hot there, but this was VERY unusually hot. Repairman came out, hooked is computer up to machine and said he is receiving an error that the hard drive is having issues and probably needs to be replaced. Gave us some quick fix tips to get by in the meantime. He barely addresssed the heat issue other than to say that the fan was running so he wasn't sure why it was getting so hot. Now he is saying that if we get a new hard drive, this should fix all of the problems.

My concern..... isn't it possible that the HOT issue is causing the hard drive error and mayber there is another solution? Don't want to fry another hard drive. Just doesn't seem to make sense to me.

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated!! Thanks very much!

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts
    1st the heat issue...when copying large jobs (especially without a finisher attached). the hot copies drop into the cavity and just sit there building up into a higher and higher stack. There is no fan inside this cavity and the heat cannot dissipate easily, this results in hot areas in front, and the fuser access side. I don't like it, but some heat is normal. If it feels too hot to touch or it really bothers you then the tech probably needs to vacuume (replacement is perferred) the filters associated with the fuser and paper transport systems. Some of the fans on this MFP are not wired to report a failure if they stop spinning so I would test all of them in test mode to make sure they are working correctly. The MFP cannot get hot enough to catch on fire from this..the fusing section is protected from over temp by electronic thermistors and temperature rated thermostats. If the electronic measuring devices fail the thermostat will pop and AC power to the fuser is removed until it is reset in service mode.

HDD issue. If the drive currently installed is a Maxtor then the tech is doing the best thing for you by replacing it. Maxtors have been failing in this box due to excessive heat since they were new. The Western Digital drive seems to handle the heat better. Toshiba even came out with a mod kit to put a fan near the HDD to help and it made no difference. The fuser heat fan is just too close to the HDD.

Other than that the 3511 is a decent color copier as long as it is kept clean (any techs reading this might think that task is impossible ha ha). Emujo

Vulcan Inventor of Death 1,000+ Posts Mr Spock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by emujo View Post
    1st the heat issue...when copying large jobs (especially without a finisher attached). the hot copies drop into the cavity and just sit there building up into a higher and higher stack. There is no fan inside this cavity and the heat cannot dissipate easily, this results in hot areas in front, and the fuser access side. I don't like it, but some heat is normal. If it feels too hot to touch or it really bothers you then the tech probably needs to vacuume (replacement is perferred) the filters associated with the fuser and paper transport systems. Some of the fans on this MFP are not wired to report a failure if they stop spinning so I would test all of them in test mode to make sure they are working correctly. The MFP cannot get hot enough to catch on fire from this..the fusing section is protected from over temp by electronic thermistors and temperature rated thermostats. If the electronic measuring devices fail the thermostat will pop and AC power to the fuser is removed until it is reset in service mode.

HDD issue. If the drive currently installed is a Maxtor then the tech is doing the best thing for you by replacing it. Maxtors have been failing in this box due to excessive heat since they were new. The Western Digital drive seems to handle the heat better. Toshiba even came out with a mod kit to put a fan near the HDD to help and it made no difference. The fuser heat fan is just too close to the HDD.

Other than that the 3511 is a decent color copier as long as it is kept clean (any techs reading this might think that task is impossible ha ha). Emujo
    Since Emujo has a better love of this machine then I, I will not make any comments.....

Well maybe one. This is a labor intensive machine to "properly" maintain and keep clean. Otherwise in the correct environment it is not bad.
    And Star Trek was just a tv show...yeah right!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Toshiba e-Studio 3511c

Ditto on the maxtor hdd's and keepin em clean! Can be a stinker!

Definitely labour intensive!

A!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

ditto

i think there is a filter problem so clean everything fan with wings inside and every ozon filter or change them.

Most people claim the 3511 is a good machine when kept clean, Im afraid they are better but they are still not a good machine in my opinion.

And neither toshibas opinion for that matter lol.

Ive worked on these fro the day they was released and had many problems with maxtor drives, You are correct though one of the reasons was caused by heat, which is why they released a MOD kit and why they added a fan to the rear where the HD is on the 351 machine and chnaged to WD.

I have also changed WD drives on 3511s so i wouldnt say its only donw to the drives being made by maxtor.