Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Toshiba MJ1101

Toshiba MJ1101

We have finisher that crunches up paper in sort mode intermittently when exiting - doesnt jam and no error codes Help please

laurie9551
    We have had this many times on the MJ1101. There is a spring in the finisher that allows the belt to return to the proper position. This belt is the one where the paper stacks while waiting for more sheets. It has a little hook to move the finished sets out of the machine. The spring is inside this unit. We have had this spring break and have sent them to Toshiba corporate for evaluation.

laurie9551
    We recently have had a few 1101's that have a similar problem. We have found that replacing the clutch located under the exit rollers fixes the jamming issue. Our problems were alway after the set was finished and trying to be ejected from the machine.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Toshiba MJ1101

Re: Toshiba MJ1101

Yeah, yeah, I know this is an old one but I'm still learning this equipment.

The cause of my finisher crunching up the pages was a bent chromed lever that moves a static eliminator strip. The easy way to observe it's operation is to remove the top tray/door, close the mechanism, and work the lever. My machine left the static eliminator strip dangling down in the stapling tray, blocking paper passage. It was a simple matter to reform the chromed lever, so the static strip would completely retract when the motor rotates.

MJ1101 static eliminator mechanism.JPG

=^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Chief Twiddler 100+ Posts mckinley's Avatar

The metal plate that moves the static plate gets deformed due to it gradually wearing a groove into the black plastic cam section of the sensor actuator ( the cam that the metal plate sits on )
    You should be able to rotate the cam freely by hand without it sticking when the groove reaches the plate, if it's difficult to rotate then you need to smooth the black cam off ( remove the groove )

The return spring for the exit pusher ( metal arm which pushes the sorted / stapled paper out which sits by exit drive belt ) breaking is the most common one for the crunching paper on exit, this also happens on the MJ1103 / 4 / 6

There are also 2 triangular shaped plastic 'bits' that the buffer arms slide up to ( exit of finisher, before the paper drops down ) these triangles were changed from white to black & had an additional bushing fitted (there are a couple of gears in the front triangle), the old type used to wear & allow the gears to jump teeth & the paper wouldn't exit.

Regards.
    Happiness Is The Road.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Toshiba MJ1101

Quote Originally Posted by mckinley View Post
    The metal plate that moves the static plate gets deformed due to it gradually wearing a groove into the black plastic cam section of the sensor actuator ( the cam that the metal plate sits on )
    You should be able to rotate the cam freely by hand without it sticking when the groove reaches the plate, if it's difficult to rotate then you need to smooth the black cam off ( remove the groove ) ...
    It turned smoothly enough, so I guess there wasn't a groove. Perhaps it's false, but my assumption was that slamming the top door had bent the lever. At any rate, I have confidence in my fix. It went from 0 pages passing to all (100% passed without crinkling).

Like most finishers, I am glad that most of it worked correctly because it's a complex mechanical device, a lot of things have to work synchronously for the paper to pass. Something as simple as a flapper moving slowly or at the wrong time, can block the passage of a side registration guide ... and be really difficult to identify. =^..^=
    Last edited by blackcat4866; 08-30-2014 at 11:07 PM.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by micko View Post
    We have finisher that crunches up paper in sort mode intermittently when exiting - doesnt jam and no error codes Help please
    I agree with the spring but did you know there is a jig for the 1101. When you do the up grade it takes care of a lot of problem on the 1101.
    Did you know that unless you do the jig upgrade the 1101 will not work on the Toshiba 506. It looks like it squeeze the paper to much