Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

Unhappy 3100c dumping black / dirty K background

I started with about a 3% k dusting all over the front of every copy or print job.
    Very even disbursement of Black toner, checked w/loop, just K.

Also had the weird backside "grey background" duplex deal going on at like 10% when printing (one side had "light" grey dusting, otherside got real dark).

Machine is low mileage, 42K showing on clock.
    Allegedly off it's first PM (so says reseller, right?)

Dev counter is @2K, Drums and belt are probably still factory, but look perfect.
    Toners feel full, except Cyan. Expected tons of C inside, but was clean.

I suspected a poor ground on the drum, or other charge / bias anomaly, but all seem good.
    Or possible "cheat" (reset) on Dev replacement, as machine was coming off lease?
    I do not know the original service company (that was erased from HD as well)

Inspected K DEV unit, drum is perfect, clean and free of toner, blades look good, inspected grid and charge wire, all look good, etc...
    Seals on unit not really dumping much toner, mag roller appears to function fine, blade gap is good.
    Ohms check shows good continuity on all the HV stuff, contacts clean, etc...

Upon reassembly, unit went to crap. Grey/Black background has become horrid, just dumping all over. Could not run gamma correction, output was too messy.

Black dusting increases and decreases density in the process direction now. Looks like every rotation of the drum it ramps up and down.
    What did I screw up this time!?

Help!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Technician
    well for anyone out there looking for an answer, here's mine:
    conductive grease on the drum grounds did not help. Nor with corona or associated HV stuff.
    Blocking off laser slit above drum deleted image, but not background.

Seals on K developer are just dumping.
    Looks like DR blade is all wonky as well.
    Assume someone was in there, as the seals look like they have been "removed" and reused.
    Low mileage machine, I suppose there was a problem early, and someone "rigged" it, as it is in no way right.
    Cleaning it all up and trying to tape the dead mylar back on helped for about 300 prints, then returned.

An trying to source parts (seals, felts, mylar, etc...) to rebuild K developer, but other than working for Toshiba, they seem unavailable in the aftermarket.
    Cant find a dealer or service co that will just sell me parts. Looks like I will need to sharpen my x-acto skills!

Technician
    What area are you in, because i can get you Toshiba parts and ship them to you if you can't find a reseller. all i need is a part number. Give me your email so we can communicate. ESG

call me I am a tech 704-562-1543

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts tinnyjay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by randandrawson View Post
    I started with about a 3% k dusting all over the front of every copy or print job.
    Very even disbursement of Black toner, checked w/loop, just K.

Also had the weird backside "grey background" duplex deal going on at like 10% when printing (one side had "light" grey dusting, otherside got real dark).

Machine is low mileage, 42K showing on clock.
    Allegedly off it's first PM (so says reseller, right?)

Dev counter is @2K, Drums and belt are probably still factory, but look perfect.
    Toners feel full, except Cyan. Expected tons of C inside, but was clean.

I suspected a poor ground on the drum, or other charge / bias anomaly, but all seem good.
    Or possible "cheat" (reset) on Dev replacement, as machine was coming off lease?
    I do not know the original service company (that was erased from HD as well)

Inspected K DEV unit, drum is perfect, clean and free of toner, blades look good, inspected grid and charge wire, all look good, etc...
    Seals on unit not really dumping much toner, mag roller appears to function fine, blade gap is good.
    Ohms check shows good continuity on all the HV stuff, contacts clean, etc...

Upon reassembly, unit went to crap. Grey/Black background has become horrid, just dumping all over. Could not run gamma correction, output was too messy.

Black dusting increases and decreases density in the process direction now. Looks like every rotation of the drum it ramps up and down.
    What did I screw up this time!?

Help!!
    Time for Preventive Maintnance.
    I know very good this machine,because i am still using it like a color machine.

You will remove drums unit and check black drum.Is it dirty?
    If yes,replace Cleaning Blade(they can do only 40k).
    If no,after you turn on machine and it makes Automatic Color Calibration,check transfer belt if is dirty.
    If yes,replace TB Cleaning Blade.
    In this case,"no" do not exist.

Thats it
    "Who loves the roses,must also bear thumbs"

Technician

yea, checked that, still grey!!

Man, I should stick to building turbofan engines. Less moving parts!!

The K-Drum looks clean, at least in the middle where the paper is running under it.
    The ends of the developer unit are building up toner, it's apparently dumping on the ends where the "seal" is supposed to seat.
    I've pulled the developer unit out a bunch, cleaned it a bunch, but even on the first 10 prints it's giving me a gray BG, but only on in duplex mode.
    I've been stressing the crap out of the drums, as I've not figured out how to R&R it in the dark.

Even when the K developer ends are getting nasty from toner build up, single side prints look good, no grey on either side.

It's got to be the transfer belt cleaner I suppose, but you would think that ALL prints would have a grey background on the back of the sheet, right?

I've pulled the transfer belt drawer out right after startup, while it's "warming up", and the belt seems clean. I've R&R'd the belt assy, the auger looks good (works) the cleaning blade "looks" good, as in it's making good contact, no tears, has not flipped or any of that. Sprinkling powder on it and turning it by hand yields a clean belt.

I've done a complete disassembly of the developer unit, my first observations seemed like it was all good, but upon close inspection (complete disassembly), found the DR blade on K was bent up somehow. I replaced that from a spare developer and set the gap.
    Dont have any seals here to renew it, but like I said, the toner buildup, although a potential problem in the "long" term (500 copies), does not seem to be the problem with this duplexing deal.

To be thorough, I checked the duplex stacker for debris, or dust. It's clean, not even a dusting of toner in there.

I've also been into the fuser, and it looks like it's just had a service, lots of pieces of belt laying on the floor of the tray, but the belt thats in there looks new. Rollers look good, no bluing on the bearings, looks like it's the OEM low count fuser, or a replacement fuser, as I assume any tech would vacuum out the chunks of belt if they did a service on it.

Will concede and call the guy who posted here soon. Out of my depth I think.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts tinnyjay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by randandrawson View Post
    Man, I should stick to building turbofan engines. Less moving parts!!

The K-Drum looks clean, at least in the middle where the paper is running under it.
    The ends of the developer unit are building up toner, it's apparently dumping on the ends where the "seal" is supposed to seat.
    I've pulled the developer unit out a bunch, cleaned it a bunch, but even on the first 10 prints it's giving me a gray BG, but only on in duplex mode.
    I've been stressing the crap out of the drums, as I've not figured out how to R&R it in the dark.

Even when the K developer ends are getting nasty from toner build up, single side prints look good, no grey on either side.

It's got to be the transfer belt cleaner I suppose, but you would think that ALL prints would have a grey background on the back of the sheet, right?

I've pulled the transfer belt drawer out right after startup, while it's "warming up", and the belt seems clean. I've R&R'd the belt assy, the auger looks good (works) the cleaning blade "looks" good, as in it's making good contact, no tears, has not flipped or any of that. Sprinkling powder on it and turning it by hand yields a clean belt.

I've done a complete disassembly of the developer unit, my first observations seemed like it was all good, but upon close inspection (complete disassembly), found the DR blade on K was bent up somehow. I replaced that from a spare developer and set the gap.
    Dont have any seals here to renew it, but like I said, the toner buildup, although a potential problem in the "long" term (500 copies), does not seem to be the problem with this duplexing deal.

To be thorough, I checked the duplex stacker for debris, or dust. It's clean, not even a dusting of toner in there.

I've also been into the fuser, and it looks like it's just had a service, lots of pieces of belt laying on the floor of the tray, but the belt thats in there looks new. Rollers look good, no bluing on the bearings, looks like it's the OEM low count fuser, or a replacement fuser, as I assume any tech would vacuum out the chunks of belt if they did a service on it.

Will concede and call the guy who posted here soon. Out of my depth I think.
    Well,i see you checked almostly all parts.
    We have some copiers like this and 2 of them are considered dead.(Problem with LGC board,power supply,high-voltage).

.....between Transfer Belt and Fuser,in the upper side there is a sensor.Clean it.
    Make some prints from pc or from controller to see if the problem come from scanner or from something else(laser,high-voltage,lgc etc).
    After cleaning the sensor try this codes:

1-05-245 and make a copy to see if there is any difference and i am sure will be a good difference.If there is no difference or the copier still has problems,try codes below

one by one:

2-05-878(if you will get an error,try 05-879)

3-05-407

4-05-643

Keep us in touch...

PS: change the places of black corona,with color drum's one.
    "Who loves the roses,must also bear thumbs"