Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Geniee

Post Toshiba eStudio : Windows2008 R2 Cluster : Device Auto Update Fails

I have an eStudio 4520c and we are using a universal PCL6 Toshiba driver
    For testing we have installed a test server (at this point WITHOUT clustering) and a local TCP/IP printer installed.
    SNMP enabled on the printer port with defaults.
    The Device Settings tab allows Update Automatically options for the Installable Options of the particular printer. This feature works on this machine (taking the network routing firewalling out of the question).

After installing the Print and Document Services role and then the Failover Clustering feature, the SNMP querying through the Device Settings tab still is working on the locally installed TCP/IP printer.

SNMP testing from this server to the printer via an external application is successful at this point.

I have also tested SNMP from my own machine to the server, and this was successful.

At this point, the server is able to query the printer via the printer device settings tab, as well as through an external SNMP testing application.

I can also query the server from my own machine via the same external SNMP testing application.

Once a test cluster is created on the server, the ability to query the printer via the printer properties / device settings tab is gone. The cluster creation hasn’t even added a service yet.

When trying to query the printer via the SNMP automatic updating the following error is shown and no information is transferred to the server.

"Retrieval of printer configuration failed."

At this point, the external SNMP testing application is still able to query the printer via standard SNMP methods.
    I am also able to query the server from my own machine.

So standard SNMP doesn’t seem to be effected, just the way that the printer drivers communicate.

As soon as the cluster is “destroyed”, running properties on the printer immediately returns results.

We have quite a few of these eStudio printers, and its frustrating not having the auto-updating options.

We also have a few users reporting "slow printouts" which we may pursue switching the ports from RAW to LPR as this seems to have helped some other users. (perhaps this is also SNMP related)

PLEASE NOTE THAT DURING THE WHOLE OF THIS TESTING, A HP PRINTER HAS ALSO BEEN SETUP AND THERE ARE NO ISSUES AT ALL WITH ITS SNMP / UPDATING

Senior Tech 100+ Posts toshibadale's Avatar
    Why are using the universal driver. Use the driver for the operating system you are using. The universal driver does not recognize or allow options to be updated.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by toshibadale View Post
    Why are using the universal driver. Use the driver for the operating system you are using. The universal driver does not recognize or allow options to be updated.
    You are not right - there is such an option. At least in last version that I have - 2.1.2.0.

So, Geniee, You have done a big job with all tests. As long as I know TOSHIBA it shoud be a driver problem. Fistly make sure You have latest firmwares (sys230) and driver vertions (2.1.2.0 for mini driver).

BR

Geniee
    IVOVB, thanks for your reply.

Yes i have checked both those versions and they are what i am using.
    I have also tried to use the individual print driver for the particular eStudio model, and its "SNMP Update" also failed.
    I re-installed the universal PCL6 driver (2.1.2.0) and still no luck

I am not sure why creating the cluster breaks the snmp query'ing, maybe its just not supported? i would like Toshiba to hurry up and tell me that tho so i can then go and convert all the print queues to LPR queues and tell my boss that its not supported.

Any other ideas ?

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Toshiba eStudio : Windows2008 R2 Cluster : Device Auto Update Fails

Change the Port to LPR. Print Queue name is print. Both LPR Byte counting and SNMP status should be unchecked.

Have you tried the regular PSL3 printer driver V5.11.96.0 with the Postscript Passthrough unchecked on the Others tab?

Geniee
    SalesServiceGuy : I have tried changing to LPR and unticking SNMP and LPR Byte Count, but this made no difference.
    I then installed the regular PSL3 Driver, and adjusted the Postscript Passthrough, but still not able to update the device configuration.

I think this is a cluster problem, the postscript passthrough would be for the print jobs sending etc wouldn't it ?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Geniee View Post
    I think this is a cluster problem, the postscript passthrough would be for the print jobs sending etc wouldn't it ?
    Yes it is but You say that HPs' SNMP is working in cluster. I suppose that cluster and Toshiba "specific" SNMP uses same resources. And obviously cluster has priority. I would suggest to escalate this problem to Your local official Toshiba representative in order to find solution/workaround. Here in Europe they are good in this (sometimes).

BR

PS I just have conversation to our server support engineer. So when You have cluster, servers are communicating via snmp protocol. Try to change the port for this communication. It seems that Toshiba snmp and clustering uses one and the same port!

PS PS You can play around with 08 3845 and 8803, too. But still check this

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc959643.aspx
    Last edited by ivovb; 11-24-2010 at 08:20 AM. Reason: add info

DANDesk

Re: Toshiba eStudio : Windows2008 R2 Cluster : Device Auto Update Fails

Did anybody ever get a fix for this? It also happens on any 2008 R2 VMWare print servers. Only fix is to disable SNMP on print queue.

The symptoms include the 25+ second pause while spooling any print jobs (except from the print server itself). Retrieval of configuration page fails from any user computer.

Happens on all 9 of my Toshiba e-studios > 2830c, 3530c, 4520c, 455, 655

Everything works great on a physical print server. UDP ports 161 and 162 are in play on the clustered or virtual servers.

THANKS

InABottle

DANDesk: I work with Geniee and we are still having the problem, but we have made some progress just recently so read on.

Since the time of this thread we gave up trying to resolve the SNMP communication issue and just changed the port and SNMP settings to prevent the time delays when printing and viewing the properties screens. The settings we used are as follow:

Port settings:
    -------------
    Protocol: LPR
    LPR Settings:
    Queue Name: print
    LPR Byte Counting Enabled: untick
    SNMP Status Enabled: untick

Configuration tab:
    -----------------
    Enable SNMP Communication: untick

This gave us some temporary relief, but definetely not a solution. This method caused us to have to manaully configure the printer trays and settings which when creating many printers, add a lot of time. A way to get around this (if creating many queues in bulk) is to create the queues on a standard print server (server with print services installed), let SNMP grab the settings and then export the queue and import into the clustered print server. Long winded, but if creating printers in bulk it may be faster.

Update: This is not a solution, but more of a workaround as its not best practices by any means. What we discovered (yesterday...) was if we used the IP address of the printer for the 'Printer Name or IP Addess' in the Port settings for the printer, the SNMP communications starting working... it actually WORKED! Change it back to the FQDN and FAIL, change it to the IP and SUCCESS! Now we are not going to use IP addresses to configure all of our ports for Toshiba's and any other brand that requires SNMP communication, so I will be creating a premier support call to MS later today regarding this issue with the new information we have and Ill post back here once I get some answers.

I feel the resoluton in near...

Regards.

InABottle

RESOLUTION!

After more testing we have discovered the problem and have a resolution!!

Long story short, SHIT TOSHIBA DRIVERS!

Slightly longer story... When the Toshiba drivers initiate the SNMP request to the printer to gather its configuration, it uses the 'Port Name' field of the port for DNS resolution and NOT the 'Printer Name or IP Address' field! OMFG!

We discovered this going dizzy looking at Wireshark logs... We found ICMP entries that were using netbios-ns (port 137) to query our 'Port Name'. As soon as we saw this we realised what was going on. When we were previously trying to diagnose this issue we also used Wireshark to see what was going on, but we must have overlooked the ICMP and/or netbios-ns entries.

This however does not explain why the SNMP communication works perfectly when on a server without Failover Clustering installed and then fails as soon as FC is configured. This is something we're happy to leave as a mystery for now as we dont have time to diagnose it further. We are just ecstatic that we have a solution for our SNMP issues!

When we create print queue we use the FQDN name for the 'Printer Name or IP Address' field and a shorter (more friendly) name for the 'Port Name'. In an environment with a decent DNS system we wouldn't (I would suspect) have had the problem, but since our DNS configuration (ever heard of Addhost?) is horrible we cannot resolve a hostname without using the full FQDN. This also comes down to us using a legacy DNS system even though we are now using AD DNS servers as well... Dont ask, its gets us all fired up!

Anyway, we will report this to Toshiba when we have time so hopefully one day this wont be a problem for anyone anymore. They might even supply us with a reason why the drivers (or the DNS/ICMP name query) acts differently when in a FC configuration to not being in an FC configuration.

Hope this help others out there!

Regards!