Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    CMBA

Toshiba e-Studio 3511Network Problem

Hello,

I am having some network problems with my Toshiba e-Studio 3511 printer. The printer had been on my network and working fine, until one day it was not. The machine works fine for copying, scanning and faxing, but will not print because it is not on the network. As far as I know, this did not co-inside with any power outages or surges. I am new and I don't know very much about the machine. These are the symptoms: The network light on the side of machine is always lit up, even when the cable is unplugged. The screen will flash NETWORK INITIALIZING when the machine is turned on, but then it will not do anything. I can access the Network icon from my admin console, however I don't know what to do here. I have checked the IP address. It is static and set to the correct address. I have tried doing some research and trying different things.

I have tried entering TEST MODE with 08 and entering 693 to initialize the NIC. However, when I do this NETWORK INITIALIZING flashes for a moment, and then nothing happens, OR I get a Cancel or Initialize button. I pressed Initialize. SYSTEM MODE came up for one moment, and then the screen returned to TEST MODE, and nothing happened.

One thread has suggested updating my firmware. I currently have version T350SYOU370. However, I have no idea if this is up to date, or how to find firmware or update it.

If anyone has a suggestion I would be very grateful.

Vulcan Inventor of Death 1,000+ Posts Mr Spock's Avatar
    first unplug the network cord and ping the ip address. If you get a reply (not a time out error) then there is another machine/computer on the network with that address and one of them needs to change.

second with the network cable plugged in open internet explorer/firefox/safari... and type in the address of the copier and see if you can see the copier. If not then it is probably bad firmware (just reload and test again) or bad nic. They do go bad.

third delete and reload the driver.
    And Star Trek was just a tv show...yeah right!

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts
    From your post...
    1. You are able to scan
    2. You can access the built in web page

If these 2 statements are correct then you can almost certainly eliminate a bad NIC. What happens when you send a job? Does the data LED flash then stop, or no indication at all? If the data light does flash then you need to look at the print log, it will give you a code as to why the job failed to print. Get the code and post your findings. Firmware can cause printing issues, I have ver 4007 on my laptop so you are a little out of date. Open the driver and go to the config tab try to get a update by unchecking and re checking the update auto box. If this works the printer is configured correctly. Also the 1st question I should have asked is "Did you make any changes to the network prior to the failure"? Emujo

CMBA
    Mr Spock and emujo, thanks for the suggestions.

Yes, I did make one change to the network wires before this happened. The cable that comes from the gateway had been passing directly through a wireless router and then into a 24 port switch. I reversed the cables so that the gateway runs directly to the 24 port switch and then one cable comes from the port to the wireless router. I thought that perhaps this might have had something to do with it, but have not yet been able to figure out what exactly could have gone wrong.

I unplugged the network cable and pinged the IP address. It did not respond. Results: Ping 192.1678.1.235 56(84) bytes of data
    I have tried going directly to the IP address and the Copier does not show up. The internet connection simply times out.
    When a job is sent: the Data LED light does not light or flash. I looked in the print log and there are no failed prints, which means that the data is not getting to the machine (I assume)
    I opened up the drive and tried checking and unchecking auto update box. I get this response "Retrieval of printer configuration failed."

So, I am now thinking it is the firmware. Is this likely?

Vulcan Inventor of Death 1,000+ Posts Mr Spock's Avatar
    Check the ip address of the computers and make sure the 3 octal (1 in the above ip) is the same. Sometimes the wireless router will give one ip address range and the gateway will give another. Especially if both are setup for dhcp.

I would go gateway router to wireless routers wan port then one of the network ports of the wireless router to the 24 port switch. Let the router handle dhcp to the network and the gateway control the router. This may mean reprogramming the copier ip to be on the same segment as the wireless router.
    And Star Trek was just a tv show...yeah right!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    You need to wait once you enter 08 mode for probably 5 - 10 minutes before using code 693. The reason "network initializing" flashes is because the NIC is still "initializing" just like it will when you boot the machine normally... you get "Network Initializing" on the Ready screen. Eventually after 5-10 mins you should be able to enter 693 and get a confirmation screen. Confirming will reset all network settings to default.

Also check and make sure port 9100 is enabled under print services (i think that's the name) when you go to top access.
    I will not give you service manuals or firmware.

CMBA
    Ok so I have been able to reset the NIC to its default settings. I then entered the IP address. No improvement. Still cant access the machine online in top access. Is there something I have missed in this step?