Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: E-studio 28 HDD

TeaRex714

E-studio 28 HDD

Ok, started with an F10 code. 08-690-2 returned an error. I'm thinking it's the system HDD, so I have a couple questions...

-Will any common PATA hard drive work in these copiers (most are SATA now, but you can still get the old standard.)

-On the E28/35/45 modles, the firmware isn't on the system HDD but in the controller. Am I remembering that correctly?

-Other than to partition the new drive and install, I'm thinking the 08-690-2 should work and I'll (hopefully) be back in business.

I appreciate any pointers.

Field Tech 500+ Posts
    E-studio 28 HDD

I usually get hard drives from Toshiba for the machines so I am not sure on the compatibility of other hard drives, I don't see why they wouldn't work. The hard drives on that machine are usually 40gb (PATA), but 80gb can be used (i think the machine restricts it to 40gb anyway). You can replace the hard drive without upgrading the firmware on theses machines.
    Been so long since I have seen one of those machines.

Just an after thought, the hard drives I used for those machines were made by Western Digital if my memory is working well. So maybe any 40gb-80gb PATA drive may work.
    It didn't say that I couldn't do it in the manual.

TeaRex714
    Thanks a lot for the info. The drive I took out is actually a Maxtor 20GB drive. The controller HDD is a 40GB Hitachi Deskstar. They are both 2002 manufacturing dates, so they may be original equipment. I'll be picking up a drive today and installing it Monday morning, so I'll post back to say how it worked out.

Technician
    Hey estudio 28 series will support upto 80gb and 35/45 series goes upto 160GB. but u will have to install the firmware on the new hard drive to make ur machine at work. if can clone the firmware from an existing HDD because its very hard to find it. even i got the old version still running in our machines. its not much big issue. Maxtor, Quantum, Seagate, Western Digital, Hitachi, Samsung any product will work. I have replaced in most of the machines Samsung 160GB, 7200rpm IDE PATA HDDs where performs well. So wish you good luck

Vulcan Inventor of Death 1,000+ Posts Mr Spock's Avatar
    for the copier hard drive >> replace and format 08-690-2
    For the controller hard drive >> replace and reload operating system
    And Star Trek was just a tv show...yeah right!

TeaRex714
    Everything went perfectly. Bought a new 80GB Western Digital PATA (IDE/ATA all the same thing just different names) drive at the computer store (jumper set as Master), plugged it in, turned it on in 08 mode, did the 690-2 (then it said to reboot controller), turned it off and back on, and it works perfectly.
    -Did not partition the drive or load any firmware; connected it straight out of the box.