Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Pad lock

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Pad lock

I have a customer who bought some used toshiba es2500c copiers. I noticed a pad lock symbol next to the meter count. In the admin menu I see a security icon and I unhighlight the pad locks there but they stay next to the meter. I am also not able to put the machine on thier network. I can set the network settings but can not print. I noticed that the lights on the eathernet port do not light up. Does anyone know if the pad lock might be related to this or have any other thoughts.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Pad lock

Re: Pad lock

This Parts & Service manual can be purchased for $12.77 and downloaded immediately after payment from

Just Manuals ~ The Internet's largest selection of manuals ~ Instant Downloads

Paul@justmanuals.com

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Thanks but I am a toshiba trained tech and have them. I just have not seen the padlock before.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Pad lock

The padlock tells you that a security feature is enabled. I think its the 128-bit encryption on the HDD, or maybe the data overwrite kit.. I've had copiers we've purchased from off-lease companies come back with that padlock symbol on them, but they've all been able to print and scan. So it sounds like you've got a seperate issue.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Pad lock

Me again.
    I just confirmed on our machine in the shop: The padlock icon came on when I set the HDD to AES setting (128-bit encryption). This does not affect the NIC. Its rare that the NIC goes on that series. You've probably already checked this, but when the lights aren't flashing on the copier NIC its usually the customers network drop that is the problem. I'd try a cross-over cable from your laptop to the e2500c to see if you get any activity from it. Also, confirm you're cable is good.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Pad lock

On the Sharp machine the padlock means that a data security kit is installed. A data security kit overwrites the HDD after each transaction. Maybe it's the same thing? =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Field Tech 500+ Posts
    Pad lock

I looked through some manuals and couldnt find anything in them with a padlock symbol. I will ask around tomorrow if i get a chance.
    It didn't say that I couldn't do it in the manual.

You say lights so i assume it has 2 of them... Link and probably 10/100 or Activity... if they dont light up it could be hardware side... The Link LED should turn on the moment you jack a cable in it, even if the machine is turned off, if the cable is powered... it should power up the LED.
    Like was said before try a crossover... if it doesnt do anything... inspect the jack, have seen a couple where the contact springs were bent and not doing a good contact with the cable... best one i've seen so far... someone tripped on the cable i assume and somehow was able to rip the jack out... call "oh the machine suddenly doesnt print anymore", i get there took a look everything looked fine, except the cable was laying on the back of the machine not hooked up... i go to hook it up and i see the jack dissapear into the machine then hearing this sound of something tumbling inside the machine... i was like O.O WTF!?! there was now a hole where the jack was supposed to be LOL...

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Pad lock

Quote Originally Posted by hekotez View Post
    ... best one i've seen so far... someone tripped on the cable i assume and somehow was able to rip the jack out... call "oh the machine suddenly doesnt print anymore", i get there took a look everything looked fine, except the cable was laying on the back of the machine not hooked up... i go to hook it up and i see the jack dissapear into the machine then hearing this sound of something tumbling inside the machine... i was like O.O WTF!?! there was now a hole where the jack was supposed to be LOL...
    We had a rash of these on the Canon IR-550's. Rather than order a $1000 PWB, I would go down to the local computer store and buy a $10 NIC out of the discount bin. Then de-solder the RJ-45 connector and solder it to the MFP's board.

It became my job to fix these. Of dozens only two could not be fixed (traces too damaged). =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I tried the cross over cable when I was there. I plan to be back today and will look at the jack.