Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

Toshiba E 230 Tray Lift Problem

I have a customer that has a Toshiba E 230 copier.Displaying Codes C130,C140.Both Trays 1 and 2 do not work.Bypass works fine.The lift motor for Trays 1 and 2 is not working.Am i wrong to assume that the lift motor is defective and or could it be the logic board?Should i be checking something else.
    Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts

Re: Toshiba E 230 Tray Lift Problem

The lift motor turns 1 way to raise tray 1, then the other way to raise tray 2...not uncommon for the motor to fail. If you can hear the motor turning, then the "Cheap Ass Plastic Gears" in the lift motor package have stripped/broke. I think that other than the incredibley poor design of the LCT feed rollers, this has got to be one of the weakest areas on these MFPs. Emujo

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

if motor not turn check hearness somtimes there is one of them cut of next the motor

reguards harry

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts

In all my experiences, Emujo is spot on.

Pull the back off the machine and on the bottom left corner, you will see a white / cream colour box where the motor and gearbox are.

Pull that apart and check your gears and if not the gears, then replace the whole assembly as the motors do go in them.
    Please don't ask me for firmware or service manuals as refusal often offends.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by emujo View Post
    The lift motor turns 1 way to raise tray 1, then the other way to raise tray 2...not uncommon for the motor to fail. If you can hear the motor turning, then the "Cheap Ass Plastic Gears" in the lift motor package have stripped/broke. I think that other than the incredibley poor design of the LCT feed rollers, this has got to be one of the weakest areas on these MFPs. Emujo
    But if gear broken, u can hear the lift tray dropping sound...
    If insert both the drawer and did not hear any lift up tray sound and the tray did not lift up, probably the motor problem...No need to change the motor, check the black wire, normally is broken, just modified/re-solder it.

Field Tech 500+ Posts

Worth checking the cassette/drawer frames are not damaged (the flimsy piece of plastic that keeps the lift shaft in position) but think emujo is probably got it in one. You can also check the motors in 03 test mode.
    It didn't say that I couldn't do it in the manual.