Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts vincent64's Avatar

Build up on drum

I have seen this before, a buildup on the drum surface like raised lines on the drum, it can be cleaned off with some alcohol and soft cloth, but I normally just replace the drum and blade, any one else ever seen this, and try to clean it?
    Its on OD-FC35 drum is the one I have seen it on mostly, sure it happens to others.

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts

Re: Build up on drum

This was a problem on the 3510C...TABS never could figure out what the cause or fix was (at least we never heard back before we stopped being a dealer some years ago)..I think its the crap (wax) in the toner that allows you to write on color pages, and not enough pressure on the cleaning blade...The K drums were the worst, those black lines popped up on some MFPS after 5k copies. Sorry not much help, but still pissed at Toshiba for never dealing with this, even sent them samples of failed drum/blades they requested..Emujo

Senior Tech 250+ Posts vincent64's Avatar

I seem to recall it being something like that, its on a older model, ES 2830 c, least I think its a older model.
    Just not that old.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Teh 2830c is not one of the old color models. The 3510c series is..There was finally a fix, but expensive..The original developer mag roller on earlier models had a smooth type surface. Now they are ribbed mag rollers. This seemds to have resolved that problem..although it would take about 30 drums to equal price of 4 new style dev. units...If your problem is on the newer series, then the drums are getting "glazed" over and just need to be replaced

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Build up on drum

Does the cleaning unit fuse also? Canon had problems on the iR5000/6000 series with excessively high internal temperatures fusing the toner in the cleaning unit.

Until Canon came up with a modified driver PWB to increase the duty cycle on the main fan, we would pull all the fan filters. Anything the increases airflow helps. A few of us adventurous ones either hotwired the main fan to run all the time on high, or installed a 120vac main fan.

If it's what I think it is, you've got to get air to flow through your machine. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts
    Build up on drum

Toshiba referred to this as Drum Waxing.

There was a modified dev roller to try stop the issue which did help, but you also needed to make sure the the clearence of the doctor blade was set correctly. I know what people are about to say and that is that you shouldn't touch the doctor blade, but this advise came directly from Toshiba.

If you ever get an IU do this, rebuilt the IU completely as just replacing the drum and blade won't help in the long run.
    Please don't ask me for firmware or service manuals as refusal often offends.