Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

3530c splotchy short edges?

Our Toshiba e-Studio 3530c is printing faded edges on the short sides of 8x11 paper. I have attached a photo to show the problem.

DOC090513.pdf

It's only the black toner. I have done the following:

Replaced developer, filter, charging grid, corona blade, drum, and drum cleaning blade.

I have a feeling that it's an electrical issue, but I am an amateur tech for our office. Is it a color density setting? Why is it only near the edges?

Thanks for any help that could point me to the problem.
    Richard

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: 3530c splotchy short edges?

Quote Originally Posted by Greenspey View Post
    Our Toshiba e-Studio 3530c is printing faded edges on the short sides of 8x11 paper. I have attached a photo to show the problem.

DOC090513.pdf

It's only the black toner. I have done the following:

Replaced developer, filter, charging grid, corona blade, drum, and drum cleaning blade.

I have a feeling that it's an electrical issue, but I am an amateur tech for our office. Is it a color density setting? Why is it only near the edges?

Thanks for any help that could point me to the problem.
    Richard
    You have the 'old' style EPU - the Mag Roller surface in these units would get smooth after 100K+ and consequently cannot hold the Developer - empty the Dev onto a clean sheet of paper, if the Dev is new it should be ok to reuse, lightly & evenly resurface the Mag Roller with a fine grade emery paper .

Quote Originally Posted by canonbundy View Post
    You have the 'old' style EPU - the Mag Roller surface in these units would get smooth after 100K+ and consequently cannot hold the Developer - empty the Dev onto a clean sheet of paper, if the Dev is new it should be ok to reuse, lightly & evenly resurface the Mag Roller with a fine grade emery paper .
    Thank you! I will give this a shot. How fine are we talking? 400?

Thank you! I will give this a shot. How fine are we talking? 400?
    Just take the shine off - 400 should be ok.

OK, I was going to try the resurfacing, but when I came into the office the copier read "CA00" and would not even function. I removed the black developer unit and resurfaced the magnetic roller (which seemed to pick up developer all the way across the roller just fine when I rotated it).

I is still not printing at the edges, and now the machine will not print at all but kicks into "CA00" code every time. When I run the 05-4719 test it also throws the CA00 code.

Is it time to call in a tech?

OK, I was going to try the resurfacing, but when I came into the office the copier read "CA00" and would not even function. I removed the black developer unit and resurfaced the magnetic roller (which seemed to pick up developer all the way across the roller just fine when I rotated it).

I is still not printing at the edges, and now the machine will not print at all but kicks into "CA00" code every time. When I run the 05-4719 test it also throws the CA00 code.

Is it time to call in a tech?
    May need to concentrate a bit more on resurfacing the edges.

The Fusing Pressure Roller may also be worn.

CA00 is a CQ error, probably require the Patch & Aligment Sensors cleaning (vacuum and/or a cotton bud) - these are located under the R/H side of the Transfer Belt assy (which will need to be removed for access) Transfer Cleaning Blade probably needs replacing, then perform the Calibration - 05-396 > 4719 > 4 FAX > 1642 > 70 FAX > 1008.

POST the List Print - 9+Start Power on > 103 Start, this will give the PM Life of the Consumables (probably way over).

Could be time for a Tech anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by canonbundy View Post
    May need to concentrate a bit more on resurfacing the edges.
    Thank you so much for taking your time to help me out. I know that troubleshooting is not quick, so I appreciate your kindness.

I took some more time to resurface the magnetic roller some more and added a bit more pressure, and it seems to have worked! It definitely improved the blotchiness and the machine has been running without throwing a code all morning. There is still light gradation on one end of the print, but I figured that I would go in and continue on the magnetic roller a bit more when I get the chance.

I never would have arrived at this solution without your help. So, thanks again! You saved me many headaches and dollars.

Richard