Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

MFD showing offline even though it prints

On the print server at one of my company's clients, one of the printers is a Toshiba e-Studio 287CS. Yesterday it started showing as Offline and users couldn't print to it. I've been working on it and now you can print to it, but it still shows offline. I rebooted it twice but I'm not sure if that's what resumed the printing. The driver has not changed. I can ping it and I can connect to it's built-in web management.

While I'm glad printing has resumed, I don't like that it's still showing as Offline. Any thoughts as to what to do about that? I'm concerned there is still something not right with it and that printing could stop again at any time.

Jonathan

Service Technician

Re: MFD showing offline even though it prints

Hi there. The information that tells a server/computer about the machines status, ie toner low, out of paper and so on are all controlled via SNMP communication. Make sure the machines settings are correct and reflect what is on the server. You can also try to stop the print spooling service and restart it again.

Does the 'offline' issue only occur on a particular PC or does everyone's PC say offline when looking via devices and printers?

Technician

Re: MFD showing offline even though it prints

Quote Originally Posted by Aethanite View Post
    Hi there. The information that tells a server/computer about the machines status, ie toner low, out of paper and so on are all controlled via SNMP communication. Make sure the machines settings are correct and reflect what is on the server. You can also try to stop the print spooling service and restart it again.

Does the 'offline' issue only occur on a particular PC or does everyone's PC say offline when looking via devices and printers?
    I just checked the print server and wonder of wonders, the printer status is now online. Nothing was done on the server and I'm sure no one touched the printer as the users in that office won't touch anything except what's absolutely needed to print/scan/copy.

BTW the printer had showed it was offline on all systems including the print server.

Jonathan
    Last edited by SmlBizAdmin; 10-09-2013 at 02:47 PM.