Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    e Studio 2330C misfeeds C220

... only on prints, every time. Copies don't jam.

First thing I thought of was a paper size or media type issue, but with the tray pulled the machine requests letter plain, and it's in the tray, and size programmed correctly. The prints always jam C220 at the upper vertical path roller. It won't pass a single page printed.

Second I thought that maybe it was a driver issue. I shared the driver on the customers server. Same result. I downloaded a fresh driver, and ported it directly to the IP. Still same result. A data capture sent via LPR Jar does not jam. Telnet print command does not jam.

My interim conclusion is that the SYS PWB is misreading the print data. I'll be returning tomorrow with the system and logic PWBs. It runs counter to the typical troubleshooting methods. Usually true jamming affects copies and prints equally. Not in this case. Has anybody seen these symptoms?
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: e Studio 2330C misfeeds C220

I suppose it is E220? Does paper wrinkles? If boards does not help check clutches - CLT4 and CLT5 (parts manual page 21 item 23). They have new versions but can't open doc and see reason for change...

BR

Yes ivo, sorry, it's E220. But it gets better: Replacement of SYS and LGC PWB made no difference. That includes firmware (twice), and 05-396 and 05-4719 successfully. But I was unable to do the print and copy gamma, because you need to print the 4Fax and 70Fax color chart, and it just won't pass a color image, even in 05 mode.

I started fiddling with driver settings, and discovered that monochrome images don't jam, color images jam. Since the copier is defaulted to monochrome the fault did not appear until I specifically selected color. Even single color images jam. The enduser with the problem has his driver defaulted to color.

I tried printing from the various drivers already loaded on my PC. Any driver set to monochrome prints fine, whether it's Toshiba, Sharp, Samsung or anything else. Conversely if set to color it jams E220 every time.

Do you suppose that it's possible that there is some component dragging down the 5vdc logic level, giving false paper sensor readings? As a quick test I attached my meter to a couple of the 5vdc lines and jammed it with color images. The logic level drops a few hundredths of a volt, but nothing significant (5.09 to 5.08). I've not yet tried changing the NVRAM (SYS or LGC)

What about PSU board?

BR

Not the PSU or the Image Processing PWB yet. =^..^=

But You have to... ;-)

Quite often strange problems comes from PSU - this is my statistic. Or twisted/pressed cable - a lot of work to find it.

BR

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    ... only on prints, every time. Copies don't jam.

First thing I thought of was a paper size or media type issue, but with the tray pulled the machine requests letter plain, and it's in the tray, and size programmed correctly. The prints always jam C220 at the upper vertical path roller. It won't pass a single page printed.

Second I thought that maybe it was a driver issue. I shared the driver on the customers server. Same result. I downloaded a fresh driver, and ported it directly to the IP. Still same result. A data capture sent via LPR Jar does not jam. Telnet print command does not jam.

My interim conclusion is that the SYS PWB is misreading the print data. I'll be returning tomorrow with the system and logic PWBs. It runs counter to the typical troubleshooting methods. Usually true jamming affects copies and prints equally. Not in this case. Has anybody seen these symptoms?
    [E220] 2nd drawer transport jam (not reaching the 1st drawer feed sensor)[E310] PFP upper drawer transport jam (not reaching the 1st drawer feed sensor)[E340] PFP lower drawer transport jam (not reaching the 1st drawer feed sensor)[E3D0] LCF transport jam (not reaching the 1st drawer feed sensor)
    1. Open the jam access cover and check if there is any paper in front of the registration sensor.Remove it if there is.* If the error still occurs, check the following.2. Is the registration sensor working? (Perform the input check: 03-[FAX]OFF/[7]/[F])* If it is working properly, proceed to 6. If not, check 3 to 5 below.3. Check if the connector CN337 on the LGC board is disconnected from the registration sensor orthe harnesses are open circuited. Correct if any.4. Replace the registration sensor.5. Replace the LGC board.6. IAre the upper transport clutches (high/low speed) working? (Perform the output check: 03-229,231)* If it is working properly, proceed to 11. If not, check 7 to 10 below.7. Check if the connector CN337 on the LGC board is disconnected from the upper transportclutches (high/low) or the harnesses are open circuited. Correct if any.8. Replace theupper transport clutches (high/low speed).9. Replace the LGC board.10.Check the condition of the feed roller, separation roller and pickup roller of each paper source,and replace them if they are worn out.
    11.Check the transport roller. Replace it if it is worn out.

Re: e Studio 2330C misfeeds E220

Yeah, I read the manual. Where's the part about "color images only"? It looks as though this machine will get traded out of the field. =^..^=

Technician

I had a similar problem to this years ago. I can't remember the jam or error message i got, but it would only play up on colour prints/copies. One of the colour corona main chargers was fitted incorrectly into the end block. I have also had faulty end blocks that look ok but must have had cracks in them.
    To track it down you could try unplugging the HVT connection to the coronas in the rear of the machine one at a time for each colour.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Dredd View Post
    I had a similar problem to this years ago. I can't remember the jam or error message i got, but it would only play up on colour prints/copies. One of the colour corona main chargers was fitted incorrectly into the end block. I have also had faulty end blocks that look ok but must have had cracks in them.
    To track it down you could try unplugging the HVT connection to the coronas in the rear of the machine one at a time for each colour.

Jason
    Thanks Dredd. If the machine gets back to the shop I'll give it a shot. =^..^=