Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    jiiins

Question E-Studio 232 - Hard Drive & Confidential Information

Hello,

this is my first post here so I apologize in advance if my questions are dumb. I looked everywhere in this forum and elsewhere (technician included) and I can't find the answers I'm looking for.

I work for a company that deals with confidential information and we use the E-Studio 232 to make copies and scan documents all day long. Recently, somebody high up in management read something about copiers storing the copied/scanned info on a hard drive and I've been tasked to investigate the following questions:
    1. Is it true that everything that is copied or scanned is stored locally (I assume until there is space)?
    2. Is there a way to safely format the hard drive, like with DOD standards?
    3. Or is it better to ask the technician to replace the drive on a regular basis?

Thanks in advance for any hints. As I said I looked everywhere and couldn't find reliable information.

Jay

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts

Re: E-Studio 232 - Hard Drive & Confidential Information

If your MFP has the "encryption" kit installed, then yes, the HDD can be overwritten to DOD standards. If not, then all you can do from the MFP is a "format". This will not truly erase any data from the HDD, and the stored data can be obtained. That being said, the only info actually stored on the HDD is anything saved to user boxes, secure prints that have not been retrieved, or jobs that were sent with the incorrect ID# (if authentication is in use) all other print/copy/scan data is temporary data only, stored in RAM and lost when power is cycled. If you are still concerned, (and some customers are) then have the servicing company hand you the HDD before MFP leaves the building. You will be charged for the replacement HDD and the time required to reload a needed firmware. Newer MFPs (I work on KonicaMinolta) can be very securely locked down...HDD lock and encryption passwords, data written to the HDD can be encrypted, and the HDD can be securely erased at end of life up to the highest military standards. Hope this helps. Emujo
    If you don't see your question answered in the forum, please don't think it's OK to PM me for a personal reply...I do not give out firmware and/or manuals.

jiiins

Thanks a lot emujo! Very useful. I don't think we have the encryption kit... how can I find out? Do you know if it's possible to add it on later?

Thanks!
    Jay

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts

If the encryption kit is installed, then you will see a special icon on the control panel and you might see a "data is being erased/overwritten" message. The kit was not common back then. It can be added, but it would depend upon manufacture's availability, and the 232 is considered obsolete. If you decide to upgrade, be sure to mention your HDD concerns as the encryption function is very easy to incorporate with todays models. Emujo
    If you don't see your question answered in the forum, please don't think it's OK to PM me for a personal reply...I do not give out firmware and/or manuals.

jiiins

Great, thanks a lot!

Jay

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Well !! Dear friend

Yes Toshiba Technical Department claims that data of Copies and scanned images remains on HDD even if you delete it apparently.For this issue they suggest data overwrite kit GP 1060 if i am not wrong. Honestly i have not come across such a situation to examine if its really data remaining after deletion or not but Toshiba says it so we have to accept. It may be the technique for selling Optional Items in order to make money but can't say it.
    One thing i am sure if data remains there on HDD after deletion, retrieving that data would be a sky touching job.

Vulcan Inventor of Death 1,000+ Posts Mr Spock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nazakat View Post
    Well !! Dear friend

Yes Toshiba Technical Department claims that data of Copies and scanned images remains on HDD even if you delete it apparently.For this issue they suggest data overwrite kit GP 1060 if i am not wrong. Honestly i have not come across such a situation to examine if its really data remaining after deletion or not but Toshiba says it so we have to accept. It may be the technique for selling Optional Items in order to make money but can't say it.
    One thing i am sure if data remains there on HDD after deletion, retrieving that data would be a sky touching job.
    From a Toshiba, I have taken a hard drive that appeared to be bad to a computer and was able to retrieve deleted data. Most of the data was not readable as it was postscript data. But all the files in the User Boxes was recoverable and viewable. I nuked the drive, then repartitioned it and used it in a computer. I did try to install it back into a copier but for some reason it would not work. So I kept it as a back up drive for a test computer and kept going. So if data encryption is needed those "options" are really mandatory.
    And Star Trek was just a tv show...yeah right!