Senior Tech 100+ Posts excanonguy's Avatar

5540c service call from hell

so I went back to a machine today to replace the CYM drums and epu kits on this machine , has 300k on it everything went fine till I tried to slide the process unit assy in, no damn way would that thing latch into place( last half an inch or so) unless I took out the cmy units, after 45 mins of removing ,re installing triple checking my work I got it fully inserted and latched, reset the counters fired it up and got a c022...then a ca00, then a ce20! I set 08 -4546 to 0 to disable the image position control , got a couple of horrible bizarre color copies and a so so b&w copy then the power went out in the damn building I was in @#$%^%!! so I get to go back tomorrow and start this fight again. I am sure what ever is going on has to do with the process assy being so difficult to get seated, I saw nothing obvious to prevent it closing and seating properly, has anyone else had issues similar to this??

Technician

Re: 5540c service call from hell

I've had a similar problems every now and then. It's usually caused by one of the drum units. I usually take out the epu's one at a time to see which one is causing the problem. For the epu that is causing the problem i've tried taking the drum back out and in and checking that it is sitting in the epu unit correctly. I've never found anything definite but i've always assumed its to do with the drum shaft going through the drum. I feel for you, it's very frustrating when you go to do a simple service then end up with other problems.

Jason

Thanks for the reply ! You described this call to a T...except for the 90 min drive to and from the call in a snow storm lol! No logic to what the hell is going on ....its calls like this that make me question my sanity for being in this business for so many years. I have no love left for Toshiba , never seen so many issues with brand new or nearly new machines ,as we have over the last year, their great tech support , its like there is no quality control left . Never thought id miss a Canon but at least they were built to run !

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    5540c service call from hell

You may want to apply a small amount of conductive grease to the drum shafts, when the imaging drawer is out of the way. I've been told that it's the drum bearings that get cocked at an angle, binding up the movement of the drawer. For God's sake, don't force it in!

Usually it's the opposite for me though. I arrive to the CA00, CE40, then can't get the frickin' drawer out. Even with both feet up against the front of the machine, and pulling with all I'm worth, it just won't break loose. The last resort is to remove the drum drive assy from the rear. Major PITA.

Most likely the codes are caused by poor electrical connections ... 'cause the drawer isn't completely closed/latched. Good luck. =^..^=
    Last edited by blackcat4866; 02-26-2015 at 01:10 AM.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    You may want to apply a small amount of conductive grease to the drum shafts, when the imaging drawer is out of the way. I've been told that it's the drum bearings that get cocked at an angle, binding up the movement of the drawer. For God's sake, don't force it in!

Usually it's the opposite for me though. I arrive to the CA00, CE40, then can't get the frickin' drawer out. Even with both feet up against the front of the machine, and pulling with all I'm worth, it just won't break loose. The last resort is to remove the drum drive assy from the rear. Major PITA.

Good luck. =^..^=
    Ive had the pleasure of the no, she dropped t being able to get it out too, but have always gotten it out eventually, never had to do the drive yet....but Im sure the day will come. Your comment about the bearings makes good sense ! These drum units had never been removed from the machine yet , just the black that I did a month or so ago. Worst part was the call was orig for a file print issue!

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post

Most likely the codes are caused by poor electrical connections ... 'cause the drawer isn't completely closed/latched. Good luck. =^..^=

Been there with the drawer - pulled hauled - pulled hauled - pushed - grunted - groaned veins popping out the side of the head and got generally embarrassed being unable to even open the drawer (It's hard to hide the fact that you are struggling) - worried that the handles were about to get ripped off in the process.....I walked away in disgust for 15 mins - back to the drawer and it opened smooth as silk?!?!?!? Obviously all the time - the wise crackers with the helpful remarks wondering if you are OK!!

Technician

When i've had trouble opening the draw, if possible run a page through the machine or get the drums to cycle a bit and it usually opens a bit easier after that, of course if is not going that doesn't help.

Jason