Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Xerox 5638 not accepting upgrades

Hello all. I'm brand new on this forum so forgive me if this post is in the wrong place. Also let me say thank you for all the knowledge shared here, it has been and continues to be helpful with my day to day challenges.

I spent almost 4 hours on a 5638 today trying to do what should have been a simple upgrade through centrware. I sent the DLM to the copier through my laptop connected via cat5. Centreware said the file had been accepted and then the machine proceded to reboot and the upgrade sceen appeared. After about 5 minutes no progress was made on the upgrade and the machine rebooted itself and came to ready without finishing the upgrade. I tried to do this several more times, tried to alt boot but that failed as well. The machine has an external controller on it, not an SBC and I'm thinking the external controller is bad or is going bad. I'm sure the dlm file i'm sending the machine is the right one, as it was verified by my company's support department.

Any thoughts on this? I am heading back there tomorrow at 9am and would love to leave in a reasonable amount of time without destroying the machine.

Thanks

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Exok's Avatar

Re: Xerox 5638 not accepting upgrades

Was the machine working prior to trying to upgrade the software? If not then you will indeed need to do an AltBoot.

What is / was the original software level before you started? What software level do you currently have?

Doing an AltBoot on a Non Tag 40 model (external controller) requires the AltBoot software tool loaded on a laptop. You will need to connect to the external controller via Ethernet cable & a video cable (so you can see what is going on in the controller). *Hint* You can AltBoot an external controller without it being connected to your copier.

The files to AltBoot a Non Tag 40 copier are not the same as the files to AltBoot the SBC version (Tag 40).
    Non Tag 40 AltBoot requires multiple files. I don't have them anymore and I'm not sure where you can get them. They are not available at xerox.com (they only have the DLM file).

There are also 2 versions of the Non Tag 40 software. 1 is for networked and 1 is for stand alone copiers. Make sure you get the correct version.

Quote Originally Posted by Exok View Post
    Was the machine working prior to trying to upgrade the software? If not then you will indeed need to do an AltBoot.

What is / was the original software level before you started? What software level do you currently have?

Doing an AltBoot on a Non Tag 40 model (external controller) requires the AltBoot software tool loaded on a laptop. You will need to connect to the external controller via Ethernet cable & a video cable (so you can see what is going on in the controller). *Hint* You can AltBoot an external controller without it being connected to your copier.

The files to AltBoot a Non Tag 40 copier are not the same as the files to AltBoot the SBC version (Tag 40).
    Non Tag 40 AltBoot requires multiple files. I don't have them anymore and I'm not sure where you can get them. They are not available at xerox.com (they only have the DLM file).

There are also 2 versions of the Non Tag 40 software. 1 is for networked and 1 is for stand alone copiers. Make sure you get the correct version.
    Thanks for the reply.

The machine was working fine except for scan to email. All I know is that our helpdesk remoted in to the machine to troubleshoot a scan to email issue where the machine was not cooperating with SMTP. The original software version I don't have at the moment, but according to my supervisor it is old and the one my company has distributed to the technicians is the latest version and will solve the SMTP problem. I don't think I need to do an altboot, just push the upgrade to it through centreware. It is a tag 40 machine but there should only be one DLM file for the general release as well as the spar right?

Just to make sure the external controller was working correctly I hooked up my crossover and serial cable to it and started the altboot software and it connected just fine. Using this is software is only for altboot though right? I'm going about the upgrade correctly through centreware right?

I've done plenty of upgrades both general release and spars but never encountered an external controller that just ignores the upgrade, even though the software version is older than the upgrade being pushed to it.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Tag 40 machine dont have external controller.
    What software version is on the machine, what version you try to upload and what version of altboot file do you use ?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Exok's Avatar

That is correct. If you have an external controller, you have a Non Tag 40 copier. (Tag 40 means it has been upgraded to a SBC).
    If your machine had a very old software level, there is a good chance you also have very old BIOS software and will need to first upgrade that before you can upgrade the firmware.

Thanks for the replies.

The one thing I have looked over is the bios. Updating them should not affect the machine as far as nvms and settings right?

Also thanks for clearing up the tag/no tag 40. I still get confused with that sometimes-obviously.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

First of all when you use CWIS and send the dlm file to the machine you must know this procedure is only for software upgrade. For upgrade to be a succes you need a good working machine. Also if it is a great difference between the actual machine sw. version and the upgrade version the upgrade will fail.
    You need to use altboot procedure for reloading machine with the corect software version.

Thanks for all the replies. The bios we up to date, ended up taking the controller in to our HQ and upgrading the hard drive on it and adding a cooling fan. I ended up having to load the general release via about boot using one of my supervisors laptops then pushing the clone using mine one I was back on site. Machine is up and running now.

Thanks!

KOC2000

"AltBoot software tool loaded on a laptop"

Where do I get this AltBoot software tool please?

Thanks.

KOC2000

"requires the AltBoot software tool loaded on a laptop"

Where do I get the AltBoot software tool please?

Thank you.