Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Docucolor 250 that will not start up

Hello everybody

We bought this DC250 last week but we cannot get it to work.
    When we turn on the machine the progress bar goes 1/5 and then 1/3 and then restarts. We have tried to reconnect all the cables and we can connect to the RIP. We know the guys we bought it from and they say that the machine worked half a year ago, but has not been turned on since then. One of the guys came and tried to fix it but it was not possible. We found another post here that seemed to have the same problem:

My Docucolor 250 is not starting up....

The thing is that we are new to Xerox machines and do not understand the abbreviations ESS, PWB, PWS and so on... We tried to find a new ESS PWB but could not find any online.

We have searching for a PWS Diagnostic Tool but cannot find the app for Win 8.

We are trying to reset the different things to factory settings but can only clear the NVM RAM.

We apologize about being novice but we really want to learn more about these robots that make physical information.

Thank you and have a nice day

Regards KLD Repro, Copenhagen

Senior Tech 250+ Posts InterfaceP's Avatar

Re: Docucolor 250 that will not start up

Disconnect all the cables from the side of the 250. The metal panel where the cables connect is the ESS. You can remove it fairly easy by removing the 6 screws that keep it secured. After you have removed them it should slide out towards you.

Now, there are several memory cards (never mind the names for now) on the ESS remove and re-seat them several times to break up any corrosion. Make sure the hard drive is correctly plugged in also.

Return the ESS and connect the cables, power on and see what happens.

Please report..

Hello InterfaceP

Thank you so much for your quick reply. I tried taking out the ESS and removing and re-asseting the memory cards. It did not really get better but something changed, it stays longer on 1/3 of the progress bar but the DADF(I believe this is the name for the tray on top of the machine) does not go up and down any more. It did before, but the bypass tray have never moved(which I can see in some videos that is should while starting up).

I can see that on the other thread with the same problem, the guy talks about things from the service manual that I can do (in the case of DC 3.3, 5.5 and 12 v repair). I dont have the service manual so cant really see what kind of operations these are..

Thank you for helping and I hope my reporting is okay

DC 3.3, 5.5 and 12 v repair is refering to voltage.

Remove the top back panel and then the two metal panels behind it. The left PWB (printer wire board) is the MCU and the right is the ESS.

On the MCU is a small card with a battery. This is the MCU NVM RAM. make sure its properly connected to the MCU.

Look for the small LED lights on both the MCU and the ESS, if you look close they should have #'s on them ie. CR1234.

These light will tell you where you have a power failure.

It could be a simple fix.

Hello again

Sorry about the pause, but we had to sleep

The MCU and battery is attached and looks fine.

We have tried what you asked and there is green lights on the PWB = C7 - 3.3V and C8 - 5V

On the ESS we have yellow lights in CR5,6,7,8 and green light CR3

What does this mean do you think? There is a lot of lights so maybe we have a lot of power failures.

Have a nice day,

Best regards

CR 7 & 8 are lit that's good. I would look at the IOT PWB the LVPS or the MCU, or the Power supply. If you have a mulitmeter and know how to use it I can send the diag procedure to you.

You may also want to try to power on with the front door open, some times this will allow the printer to bypass any problems powering up.

Hi again

Thank you for your reply and we get hold of a multimeter soon, so it would be wonderful to get the diag procedure.
    We have tried to turn on the machine with the door open but nothing changed.

But thanks again and I will get back to you, when we have a multimeter.

Have a nice day,

best,
    KLD Repro

Hi again
    We went through the diagnostic lights, and tested the LVPS and found there was no problem with 3.3, 5, 12 and 24V
    since the MCU's led are lid, we guess the power-supply is fine..
    we havnt been able to check the IOT since it's crammed so far inside the machine - any tricks?
    could it be a failing hardrive or the ESS? (hope not)

still a little at a loss here
    but we will keep trying - -

regards.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Replace ESS PWB.

I've had similar problems before with 250's that won't start up properly or gives out weird fault codes.

Turns out that the fuser was causing the weird faults.

Try changing the fuser first