Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Tivervin

DocuColor 2240 hang during boot - no error

In the interest of full disclosure I am not a copier technician by trade. I am just supporting a copier for a non-profit who will not spend any money on it full stop. It was donated a couple years ago and is now unfortunately being run into the ground.

I am working with a DC 2240, it hangs during boot with no error and four out of five dots. #4 blinking.
    The only text is:
    Please Wait
    Control ROM 3.0.17
    Frame ROM 3.101.6

PWS reports no acknowledgement, sending POLL command.

I have tried re-seating whatever connectors and PCBs I have had reasonable access to.
    It does have 3.3v and 5v, but I was called away and did not get to probe further yet.

At this point my only other thoughts were to see if the HDD is toast, and try using an onboard serial port instead of a USB adapter. Or a different adapter.
    Am I barking up the wrong tree? I do not really know what I am doing, and the service manual appears to only cover error codes unless I am blind.

The only known history of problems with this unit have been the connector on the rear being cleaned to clear up a different intermittent freezing/error code issue, and insertion of a 24C02 EEPROM after a Xerox branded drum CRUM self-destructed upon being read.(oops, apparently they do not like my programmer. )
    Both were easily resolved and all things considered it has actually been a decent copier.

Whatever help I can get would be appreciated, thanks.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    DocuColor 2240 hang during boot - no error

Re: DocuColor 2240 hang during boot - no error

Probably software corruption
    You need to connect on serial port with pws tool and read the error codes.

Sent from my V3-E

Tivervin

Re: DocuColor 2240 hang during boot - no error

PWS tool is unable to connect.
    Both v1.5 and v3.6 end up starting in standalone mode and say they lost communication when you attempt to connect.
    I have tried:
    A null modem cable and onboard serial port set to COMM 1.
    A straight serial cable with null modem adapter and onboard serial port set to COMM 1.
    Two USB serial adapters(different chipsets) with null modem adapter set to COMM 1.

Do I need to manually configure the serial port in a specific way? bit rate, flow control? I have not had time to play with that just yet.