Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Service Manager 100+ Posts

Re: Xerox Docucolor 250 and 5000 Toner

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine View Post
    Actually, 1632/2240/3535 and M24 are EA toner, and are not the same as the C2128/7335 & DC250, which are EA-HG. But they are close enough that the only difference you will see is a very slight difference in the amount of gloss, and a very small amount of color balance variation.
    Going further down the line (as from trying to use 5000 toner in a DC250) I regularly use DC250 toner in my DC3535 as it's almost half the price. As Caffeine says, it presents no problems whatsoever, a little bit more gloss but if the colour balance is off I can't see it.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Xerox Docucolor 250 and 5000 Toner

Quote Originally Posted by GusG View Post
    Going further down the line (as from trying to use 5000 toner in a DC250) I regularly use DC250 toner in my DC3535 as it's almost half the price. As Caffeine says, it presents no problems whatsoever, a little bit more gloss but if the colour balance is off I can't see it.
    It is minimal, but can be a problem for graphic designers. It shows up mainly in magenta. The newer EA (EA-HG) magenta is slightly stronger than the original (3535) EA magenta. It means some things might have a very slight pink cast to them if you use the new stuff in an older machine. Depending on your front end and calibration persistence, though, you may not really see it at all as it is within the range of what you can 'correct' for with most of the calibration functions of the fronts ends. It is a slightly bigger concern for the machines with more limited calibration functions.

you may not really see it at all as it is within the range of what you can 'correct' for with most of the calibration functions of the fronts ends. It is a slightly bigger concern for the machines with more limited calibration functions.
    I guess that explains why I can't see any problem, we calibrate regularly and at least once a day

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Gus: Whats your front end on the DC3535 and what densitomter do you use to calibrate.
    a machine is only as good as your tech : source:screwtape ; the scary one

Quote Originally Posted by davidj7 View Post
    Gus: Whats your front end on the DC3535 and what densitomter do you use to calibrate.
    Currently I'm using a built in Fiery and calibrating with an Xrite DTP32. Prints are generally a bit dark (also with original toner) but I usually send at 90 or 95% brightness.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I am planning to substitute my DC3535 with DC250 toner. So checking with you .
    Thanks Gus
    a machine is only as good as your tech : source:screwtape ; the scary one

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by davidj7 View Post
    Where does the 1632 toner fit in here?

Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    Where does the 1632 toner fit in here?
    1632 toner is exactly the same as 3535 toner, same part number too I think.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GusG View Post
    1632 toner is exactly the same as 3535 toner, same part number too I think.
    Yep, the 1632/2240/3535 use all the same part numbers for supplies. Fuser, BTR, toner, drums.

If you really want to be wild and crazy, use the latest EA toner (EA-Eco) in your 3535. It is designed to be used in a machine with a low temperature fuser, so when you put it in a machine with a regular temperature fuser, it turns super glossy. Freakishly glossy, actually. Unfortunately, also quite a bit too dark, also due to being "over fused"...

I actually have a machine set up this way, though, specifically for this effect. It is an EA-HG machine, but I use EA-Eco in it, and I used the ColorMunki to create a custom printer profile which knocks the lightness/darkness back into place. (The built-in calibration routines are completely befuddled by this combination because the ADC density sensor that analyzes the raw powder on the transfer belt sees everything as a-ok, but after getting overcooked, it is way too dark.) The glossy effect remains even with the profile, of course, so it's great for glossy book covers on C1S stock.

In some cases with the "real" toner with 12pt or 14pt C1S or glossy stock, even running the machine at the slowest "Extra Heavy Cardstock" mode, it would only be a satin finish at best. Which is a nice effect, certainly, but not if the customer wants high gloss! With the EA-Eco toner, it is mirror glossy.

it is mirror glossy.
    How does the gloss compare to a fuser oil machine like DC2060 or DC12?