ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Xerox 5645 doc feed won't detect paper.

I was at a location installing a maintenance kit and the shop called asking me to look at a machine for a third party contractor. They can give no tech support or manual but want to know if we can fix it.

Basically it knows the doc feeder is there, but the sensors don't seem to work. If you open the cover, you get a message to close the cover. If you unplug the doc feed and boot up, it knows the doc feed is missing. If you put paper up to be copied, it does not detect. If you put paper under paper path sensors and close the door it does not show a paper jam. I didn't have a manual for this model, and tried every combination of codes to get into service but nothing worked. I understand a firmware update was done a week ago.

Questions are...

What gets me into service

If I had to take a guess, it would be for the board on the doc feeder. Would any of you concur?
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: Xerox 5645 doc feed won't detect paper.

It is most likely the board if multiple sensors are not working. You should hear a beep when you actuate the jam sensors in the top cover. Check the wiring harness from the top cover to the main board. Try actuating the exit sensor and see if it records a jam. For service mode hold down # and press "Access" password is 1934 or 1991.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    It is most likely the board if multiple sensors are not working. You should hear a beep when you actuate the jam sensors in the top cover. Check the wiring harness from the top cover to the main board. Try actuating the exit sensor and see if it records a jam. For service mode hold down # and press "Access" password is 1934 or 1991.

Thanks for the info. I had googled how to access service and that one never came up. I was feeling pretty good about the board. Would you happen to have the part number for it, or did they use different doc feeds for the same model? I got in a hurry trying to beat the timed parking I was in and failed to take pics of the data plate.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Document present sensor- 130K73890
    DADH PWB (W/O Tag D-002)- 960K34861
    DADH PWB (W/ Tag D-002)- 960K51761

The mod/tag plate is on the bottom rear of the DADH

Many thanks. I am just a few hours down the road in Fayetteville, Fort Bragg.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Exok's Avatar

One last thing to test before you replace the feeder board, test to see if the sensor that detects when the feeder is lifted up vs shut is functioning. If the feeder always thinks that the feeder is lifted up it will not function but could still detect if the door is open.

ordered parts yesterday, should be able to update tonight.