Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

WC58XX tray 5 (bypass) doesn't feed anything ever, but sometimes intermittantly

If there is an intermittent failure to feed anything from tray 5 on this line and the roller and retard pad have been changed, make sure the solenoid that controls the feed roller works properly. I recently inflicted a minor bit of dumbassery on myself for not checking that. That solenoid was staying in an activated state when it was not supposed to, and the gear on the feed roller shaft didn't advance enough to continue to be driven by the machine side drive, so nothing fed from tray 5 on that machine most of the time.
    The solenoid is on order. I'll let you know what happens next if you are interested.
    Sorry if this is old news.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Re: WC58XX tray 5 (bypass) doesn't feed anything ever, but sometimes intermittantly

Time to wrap this up.
    Turns out the noise reducing foam on the solenoid that controls the feed roller had worn out, but not the adhesive that held it in place. So the solenoid's armature was being held in its activated state longer than it should have.
    Unfortunately, when I replaced the tray 5 feed roller, I also reassembled it incorrectly, so that the rear plastic idler roller was binding on the metal frame. So that caused the feed roller drive gear to sometimes not return to its starting position.
    D'oh.
    I guess the upshot of this is if you're having problems with tray 5 and the feed and retard are OK, replace or clean that solenoid.