Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Xerox 914 keeps catching paper on fire in the fuser area.

Angry Xerox 914 keeps catching paper on fire in the fuser area.

Hello!

We have been quite happy with our original Xerox 914 in our small insurance office. It has been copying just fine until we used the last of our original toner up. We had purchased a huge amount in the early 70's and just ran out this last December. Does anyone know if modern Xerox toner is more flammable? We used to go months without having the unit catch on fire with the original toner... now its a weekly occurrence.

It's usually always contained to the fuser area but can be quite disconcerting while burning.

On a side note the chassis has been going "hot to ground" recently and been delivering some nasty shocks. Could this be related to the fires? It's gotten to the point where the girls in the office approach the machine with an AC voltmeter before touching an exposed surface. We have replaced a great deal of the original fabric covered wiring.

Thanks in advance!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Xerox 914 keeps catching paper on fire in the fuser area.

Really, a Xerox 914, circa 1969? I haven't seen one of those since I worked on them in the early 1970,s. This machine had a type of developer made of flint material, small round rocks that did not accept a bias charge like the steel beads of today. This developer cascaded over a selenium drum to develop an image. Also this was prior to the invention of magnetic brush development as widely used today. A toner compatible with this developer is needed. I have searched the world over for this toner, and cannot find any. The next generation machine was the Xerox 720 which also used this toner, but I don't think you can find that either. Good luck on your search.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Must be an April fools joke

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

As far as your shorting and electric shocks, remember this machine was the very first office copier, and had virtually no electronics as we know today. Everything was operated on line voltage and any bad wire insulation can cause a short circuit. We called this machine "dial a fire" due to the many calls we took for fuser jam fires.

Technician

Your Scorch Eliminator is depleted and needs to be refreshed/recharged it's not the toner
    I have a pallet of these I can sell you cheap current part number 911H2004UO located outside a small clandestine warehouse outside Rochester NY
    PM me

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

After almost 50 years old, this machine must be greatly loved by the owner. I thought all of these had been scrapped many years ago. When we worked on these machines, that was all there was as a plain paper copier. In the mid 70,s, the imports started to enter the copier market and Xerox then started electronic controlled copiers and high speed duplicators.
    The fuser jams in the 914 were due to the type of oven fuser that the paper passed under supported by moving belts that allowed the copy to stall and catch on fire. In New York City, the machine was required to have an operational fire extinguisher mounted inside the door of the machine. This requirement went away after a few years.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ss12 View Post
    Must be an April fools joke
    Couldn't help myself. lol.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xtrain View Post
    After almost 50 years old, this machine must be greatly loved by the owner. I thought all of these had been scrapped many years ago. When we worked on these machines, that was all there was as a plain paper copier. In the mid 70,s, the imports started to enter the copier market and Xerox then started electronic controlled copiers and high speed duplicators.
    The fuser jams in the 914 were due to the type of oven fuser that the paper passed under supported by moving belts that allowed the copy to stall and catch on fire. In New York City, the machine was required to have an operational fire extinguisher mounted inside the door of the machine. This requirement went away after a few years.
    Have you ever seen one come up for sale?

Would love one for the poker room.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I remember a fellow Xerox Tech Rep in Seattle that bought one and stored it in his basement in the early 80,s. As I remember, his name is William Stockard, but I have not seen him for over 30 years.