Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Xerox 7220 sounds like train stopping

The machine is only 6 weeks old. Noise started a few weeks after they got it. At first it would happen only after several pages, now it is constant. I swapped the fuser and it made no difference. I then opened the side door, tripped the switches and watched. The noise starts and stops with the transfer belt. Sound like metal on metal, like a train screeching to a stop. Has anyone had an issue with these belts? Customer did not have one, so I had them order one.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Exok's Avatar

Re: Xerox 7220 sounds like train stopping

Possible causeHigh pitch squeak) Transmit drive gears for the waste toner container auger is creating the noise, to quickly isolate the noise, open the front cover and cheat the interlocks, when the machine begins to cycle the drives, push inwards on the inner grey cover front cover, nearest the drive for the waste toner auger, the noise will quit as you are biasing the lower shaft and gear away from the front of the transmit gear bracket.
    Solution: Remove front cover assembly then remove transmit bracket assembly (PL8.1 item6) and lube the drive gear shafts.

For a jumping (knocking) noise possible cause: Binding in the transfer belt assembly and / or lack of drive to transfer assembly.
    Solution: First check for excess grease on the drive coupler on the transfer assembly and the drive coupler on the frame of the machine. Clean off excess grease. Also make sure the drive moves back and forth on the shaft. The spring may have weakened and needs to be stretched.
    Before replacing the transfer assembly, order and install the IBT Spacer Noise Fix (part # 655N00508). Remove the screw securing the IBT cleaning assembly and install the spacer and long screw in it's place from the kit. This will keep the IBT asb fully engaged with the drive.
    (note, IBT assemblies have been redesigned and new assemblies come with the spacer. Prior manufacturing cut-in of spacer 9/24/14 shown as 140924 on barcode label)

Thank you for replying. I will go back and chck the waste toner system.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Exok View Post
    Possible causeHigh pitch squeak) Transmit drive gears for the waste toner container auger is creating the noise, to quickly isolate the noise, open the front cover and cheat the interlocks, when the machine begins to cycle the drives, push inwards on the inner grey cover front cover, nearest the drive for the waste toner auger, the noise will quit as you are biasing the lower shaft and gear away from the front of the transmit gear bracket.
    Solution: Remove front cover assembly then remove transmit bracket assembly (PL8.1 item6) and lube the drive gear shafts.

For a jumping (knocking) noise possible cause: Binding in the transfer belt assembly and / or lack of drive to transfer assembly.
    Solution: First check for excess grease on the drive coupler on the transfer assembly and the drive coupler on the frame of the machine. Clean off excess grease. Also make sure the drive moves back and forth on the shaft. The spring may have weakened and needs to be stretched.
    Before replacing the transfer assembly, order and install the IBT Spacer Noise Fix (part # 655N00508). Remove the screw securing the IBT cleaning assembly and install the spacer and long screw in it's place from the kit. This will keep the IBT asb fully engaged with the drive.
    (note, IBT assemblies have been redesigned and new assemblies come with the spacer. Prior manufacturing cut-in of spacer 9/24/14 shown as 140924 on barcode label)

You were spot on with your tip. It was the waste toner drive system. I kind of made my own lube, what do you use? Also I added to your rep for the good tip.