Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Dots on prints due to pits in OPC drum surface

Is there any kind of known issue or reason to be getting a lot of pit marks on the surface of drums very early in their life, causing dots on the prints?

This is the DocuColor 252 series machine.

I've got 10's of millions of prints on several machines from this series, but this is a fairly new issue for me, and I can't figure out a reason.

Mostly on the black drums, though occasionally on the color drums as well. When it is on the color drums, it is USUALLY fairly close to the end of its life cycle anyway, so I never thought too much about it.

But within the last 2 or 3 months, on several different machines, I've had 5 or 6 black drums develop a pit mark, which you can actually see on the drum surface, within 15 or 20 percent of being brand new. Black drums (normally) last so long.

All genuine Xerox supplies.

Did Xerox have a bad batch of drums? Static damage (though static doesn't seem high right now)? I have absolutely no idea...

Thanks in advance!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts jhalfhide's Avatar

Re: Dots on prints due to pits in OPC drum surface

Customer using heavy media? All yields are given at 80/90gsm A4 LEF paper and supposedly drastically reduce with thicker stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jhalfhide View Post
    Customer using heavy media? All yields are given at 80/90gsm A4 LEF paper and supposedly drastically reduce with thicker stock.
    No, almost exclusively 90gsm. Happens whether running lots of color jobs, B&W only, or mixed. No rhyme or reason.

As a side note, I've never experienced any loss of yield with heavy stock on this series of machines. Others may have different experience, but I've definitely never seen it. Even on a machine I use exclusively for book covers, Tango 10pt C1S, I often have the drums reach all the way to 0% and keep on going. I don't see why it would make any difference, since these machines have an intermediate transfer belt. The drum only ever touches the belt, regardless of the media type. I think the "heavy paper reduces life" theory is a remnant from the days when the paper came in direct contact with the drums.

In any event, not the case here, and they're dying at 80-90% life remaining. (Not used, remaining... haha)

Thanks!

K

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine View Post
    Is there any kind of known issue or reason to be getting a lot of pit marks on the surface of drums very early in their life, causing dots on the prints?

This is the DocuColor 252 series machine.

I've got 10's of millions of prints on several machines from this series, but this is a fairly new issue for me, and I can't figure out a reason.

Mostly on the black drums, though occasionally on the color drums as well. When it is on the color drums, it is USUALLY fairly close to the end of its life cycle anyway, so I never thought too much about it.

But within the last 2 or 3 months, on several different machines, I've had 5 or 6 black drums develop a pit mark, which you can actually see on the drum surface, within 15 or 20 percent of being brand new. Black drums (normally) last so long.

All genuine Xerox supplies.

Did Xerox have a bad batch of drums? Static damage (though static doesn't seem high right now)? I have absolutely no idea...

Thanks in advance!
    Deep cleaning into the machine, change filters and ibt clenner assy, max setup after.
    Large coverage of the page and old belt usually is the cause

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adriansto View Post
    Deep cleaning into the machine, change filters and ibt clenner assy, max setup after.
    Large coverage of the page and old belt usually is the cause
    Ah, so this is something you've experienced, too? Good to know. I'll put a new cleaner in right now, hopefully avoid killing a perfectly good new drum, but I'll have to buy a belt and won't have it for a while.

It is an old machine, pushing 9mil prints, but the print quality is still perfect. (Except the dots.)

Believe it or not, this is the original itb belt, even after 9 million prints... I have had to replace the silver patch, but the belt was still printing a-ok.

Thanks!

Xerox still use the 80/90gsm yield for all parts. Probably just their excuse though Dots on prints due to pits in OPC drum surface

Sounds like you've got it sorted now though Dots on prints due to pits in OPC drum surface

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I never seen a belt with 9 million on clock.
    I seen one with 2 million and it was very worn

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adriansto View Post
    I never seen a belt with 9 million on clock.
    I seen one with 2 million and it was very worn
    Print quality is still stunning on this machine, even with the 9 million old ITB belt and also the 2nd BTR is also original, so it is 9 million old, too...

It's been through many many belt cleaners and developer assemblies and filters, though...

I just thoroughly cleaned out the belt cleaner, and also vacuumed out the filter (though it wasn't old) so hopefully that will prevent drum death until I can get new parts.

2nd BTR with 9 Million Dots on prints due to pits in OPC drum surface
    How is it not cracked to hell?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jhalfhide View Post
    2nd BTR with 9 Million Dots on prints due to pits in OPC drum surface
    How is it not cracked to hell?
    Good genes...? Or good doctors...?

Seriously, though, not sure. I've seen cracked BTRs like you mentioned... But this one keeps hanging in there. I put a sticker with a date on it when I cleaned it out the first time, which was maybe a year after I bought the machine. I have cleaned it out several times since, but I've never replaced any of its parts, like the wax bar or the blade.