Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: USB Scanning

Technician

USB Scanning

Hi, There is probably an obvious answer but I need to be sure. Can a customer hook up an actual USB disk drive to a WC7545? I'm not talking a thumb type drive but an actual rotating, Terabyte sized disk drive? The goal is to use the drive as an archive for large files hence to large size.

If I can't use the 7545 port, can I hook it up to a PC, share it and then scan to it?

I've never tried either scenario in real life but both seem doable on the surface.

Happy Thoughts
    Karl

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: USB Scanning

Karl, no you cannot put an actual USB HDD on the machine as the feature is only available when the USB is inserted. The screen will change with 2 icons Print From or Scan To. You can however have the machine scan to a computer thru Network Scanning and archive from that computer. You can change the name of doc from screen or wait till it gets to the computer to rename. Another good thing about scanning is you are not limited to the 75-100 page DADF capacity as you can enable Job Build (last tab on scan screen under Job Assembly) and you can scan in sections say 5 - 100 sheets each and when done the machine will send over that 500 pages as 1 file. Now you ask how about file size, no worries again as it is called MRC (mixed raster content) that will handle that for you. Ok your wondering what's MRC, in simple words it separates pics and text on the document and send thru as 2 docs for smaller file size/data transmission. You receive the entire document as you scanned so it really doesn't matter what it does as long as it is retrieved on the computer.

Hope this helps

Technician

Re: USB Scanning

Quote Originally Posted by JrTech View Post
    Karl, no you cannot put an actual USB HDD on the machine as the feature is only available when the USB is inserted. The screen will change with 2 icons Print From or Scan To. You can however have the machine scan to a computer thru Network Scanning and archive from that computer. You can change the name of doc from screen or wait till it gets to the computer to rename. Another good thing about scanning is you are not limited to the 75-100 page DADF capacity as you can enable Job Build (last tab on scan screen under Job Assembly) and you can scan in sections say 5 - 100 sheets each and when done the machine will send over that 500 pages as 1 file. Now you ask how about file size, no worries again as it is called MRC (mixed raster content) that will handle that for you. Ok your wondering what's MRC, in simple words it separates pics and text on the document and send thru as 2 docs for smaller file size/data transmission. You receive the entire document as you scanned so it really doesn't matter what it does as long as it is retrieved on the computer.

Hope this helps
    JrTech,

That is very good to know. My customer was hopeful but I didn't think it would work. Thanks for mentioning job build. We had not even gotten to that stage yet and now I'll know what to tell them.

Thanks much.