Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need some help with Workcentre 232

Hi all,

I was here a while back for some help with a CopyStar, but with many, many thanks to blackcat4866, I got the thing working GREAT! Now, my new project is a WorkCentre 232 (not Pro, just regular WC232.)

To make a long story short, but still boring, I inherited this thing from a company that upgraded. Basically, they were told that they are not making parts for this thing any more, so repairs would be much more difficult and expensive. Not to mention, they would not give them a credit for it toward the new one because it is so old. So, the choices were me or the dumpster...

So, I get this thing back to the shop and figure, "Hey, great. I've got a client who has a huge scanning job they want me to do and I don't want to mangle up any of my good, working stuff with this job...I'll just use this thing!"...WRONG! Apparently, EVERYTHING was an option with this model and the company only got copying installed when they initially purchased the service contract (see, I told you it was going to be boring.)

After an absolutely going nowhere slowly chat with Xerox, apparently this thing is all but abandoned as far as they're concerned, but that won't stop them from charging the full current rate to give me an "enablement key" and the hardware required to be able to scan with this thing.

Now, I've looked up the specs on this model. The WC232 is apparently the bastard little brother of the WCP232. Essentially the same machine, but with about 5,000 fewer options available for no good reason. After looking over the documentation at Xerox, apparently the WCP232 can scan to network folder, but the WC232 best I can hope for is scan to email. This isn't necessarily a problem IF it is all I can muster with this thing, but I would much prefer scan to network folder as that would make this whole scanning job I have that much easier.

SO, question time:

1. What's the deal with this "enablement key" junk?

2. Does anyone have one that I could use/buy cheaper than what Xerox is trying to stick me for just to enable scanning on this machine?

3. Is scanning to network folder possible with this model even though it was not listed in the specs (probably just a marketing tactic to push the Pro version)?

4. They also said that I need the hardware, but I've already got the box on the back with ethernet, usb, and all that jazz. So would I need anything else, or is that little multi-port box already the magical hardware they spoke of?

5. Now the company that I got it from is flipping out because they heard that all of their information: any copies or prints they made (yes, I can also use it as a network printer) are stored on the hard drive unencrypted and they are tripping about it being a security risk and want me to wipe it. Can I just wipe the hard drive and still be able to put it back in and use it, or is there data on the hard drive that needs to be kept intact (OS, firmware, etc., whatever)?

If anyone out there in the almighty copytechnet could help me out with this thing, it would be absolutely awesome! I don't need another machine here just taking up space, definitely if it isn't useful. I just want it for this scanning job I've got. I've already got three other copiers so I don't need this one if it won't be of any help for what I got it for. Thanks in advance, everyone. Hope to hear from somebody soon!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: Need some help with Workcentre 232

What is NC sw wersion of this WC232?

Quote Originally Posted by xeroxsharp View Post
    What is NC sw wersion of this WC232?
    from what i can tell, it's 40.022.11231

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cj_tzm View Post
    from what i can tell, it's 40.022.11231
    Not clear.
    Print machine report configuration and post it here.

Quote Originally Posted by adriansto View Post
    Not clear.
    Print machine report configuration and post it here.
    is this ok?
    Attached Images Attached Images

is this ok?
    You have a light version of the net controller.
    For use machine as scanner you need to change the net controller = box in the back lower side of the machine.

You have a light version of the net controller.
    For use machine as scanner you need to change the net controller = box in the back lower side of the machine.
    So if I do that, will it be identical to a WCP232? Do you know anywhere that I could get one?...CHEAP? I really don't want to have to put a lot of money into this thing if I could help it. I already looked around and it doesn't seem like I'm going to be able to find too much for this machine anywhere anymore. Also, if I could get the scan to email working, I could possibly use that. Thanks for your help. Talk to you soon.

I finally got the box off the back of this thing. I never knew that it was actually, essentially, just a PC case. If that's all it is, could I just add in a network card to one of the PCI slots? Also, would it be possible to take the hard drive out and take a look at the contents? I'm running Linux, so it shouldn't be an issue. And if I'm not mistaken, it is using DDR1 RAM? Would it be possible for me to throw a couple extra sticks in to bump up the memory? Thanks guys. Let me know soon!

So if I do that, will it be identical to a WCP232? Do you know anywhere that I could get one?...CHEAP? I really don't want to have to put a lot of money into this thing if I could help it. I already looked around and it doesn't seem like I'm going to be able to find too much for this machine anywhere anymore. Also, if I could get the scan to email working, I could possibly use that. Thanks for your help. Talk to you soon.
    Even scan to email dont work.
    I have one of this but I'm located in Europe so the delivery is not cheap.
    Try to look on ebay or ask on xertech.com forum.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Even scan to email dont work.
    I have one of this but I'm located in Europe so the delivery is not cheap.
    Try to look on ebay or ask on xertech.com forum.

You need to find:
    1. NC box already ALTBOOTED with SW version ( 13.xxx.xxx )
    and
    2. firewire cable
    3. firewire card
    4. SW key for activaton NETWORK SCANNING and SCAN TO EMAIL

Install and conect NC box with firewire card and cable
    In less than 1/2 hour, NC will overwrite xerox232 firmware, and your X232 will be upgraded to WorkCentre 232 PRO version.
    Then you will need to enter SW key ( NETWORK SCANNING and SCAN TO EMAIL )

I have few NCs,but I am from EU.