Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

Best volt ohm meter?

What do you think is the best and best priced volt ohm meter to work on copiers? Also do you know of a tiny or very small vaccum cleaner that is very portable for working on copiers? Also best tool bag? Best dolly to tote your vac and tools also? Thanks.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Best volt ohm meter?

Re: Best volt ohm meter?

Wow! Lot's of questions.

My criterion on Volt Meters is that I spend about $100. It doesn't seem to matter much what brand it is. It's convenient, but not absolutely necessarily to have a thermocouple circuit on the meter. Mostly I just end up reading AC and DC voltages and measuring resistance, and you can get a $5 meter to do that. If you're going to read analog phone line voltages you'll want a D'Arsonval movement (a meter with a dial). Digital meters just blank out when the levels change rapidly. D'Arsonval meters accurately display rapid changes in voltage.

As vacuums go, spend the money on the 3M vac. I've worn out 1 vacuum and working on the second ... in 28 years. It's worth it.

There are several nice threads on tools bags. My personal preference is for hard cases, rather than soft. I've had my current case for the last 15 years. It's got a few scars, but is generally as good as the day I bought it. I seem to recall spending around $300.

As the cart goes, I'm a fan of the UpCart. But it will require some slight modification for the additional load. The original front legs are plastic, and the weakest part of the design. I've hauled #80 MFPs with the new and improved version.

Here are pix:

Meter.JPGUpCart Modified.jpgToolcase and UpCart.jpgPhone Line Tester.JPGJTK93cia.GL.jpg

=^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Technician

Cool. Thanks for the info.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

If the vacuum you are going to use doesn't have a grounded nozzle, be prepared for electrostatic shocks when vacuuming up large amounts of toner. I found that to be quite irritating to the point that I'd wear my ESD wrist strap when using the thing.
    And if the filter is not suitable for toner, be prepared for toner to go out of the exhaust of the vacuum just as fast as you sweep it up
    When I worked for the mothership they provided with me a 3M service vacuum. It is the best one for copier service, but it is quite expensive too. I have seen other threads at CTN where different vacuums have been pitched that will work adequately, but I don't remember where they are at the moment. Still, if a non-3M vacuum has a filter capable of collecting toner and has a grounded nozzle, it will do fine.
    (Actually, the 3M vacuum filter didn't do that good with early Canon yellow toner, so even a good vac may require some personal experimentation.)