Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

dc12 single faint thin line on prints (pics)

The DC12 I support has started printing a very thin faint line across the entire sheet in the direction of printing. I did interruption tests and have found the line on the print prior to the fuser, on the IBT, and on the drum. The line of toner on the drum can be wiped off with a cloth. The drum does not appear damaged at all and is relatively new. Prints are excellent except for this line. I replaced the drum cleaning blade and cleaned out the waste toner system on the drum cartridge; when I put it back in it printed clean for the first 40 pages approximately and then the line returned. In the picture attached you can see the line running horizontally. It does regardless of the image that is printed.

Any ideas on the cause and solution for this? Does the drum have to be replaced? I'm looking for one but so far having difficulty.

Thanks,
    Joel

2.jpg

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: dc12 single faint thin line on prints (pics)

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_M View Post
    The DC12 I support has started printing a very thin faint line across the entire sheet in the direction of printing. I did interruption tests and have found the line on the print prior to the fuser, on the IBT, and on the drum. The line of toner on the drum can be wiped off with a cloth. The drum does not appear damaged at all and is relatively new. Prints are excellent except for this line. I replaced the drum cleaning blade and cleaned out the waste toner system on the drum cartridge; when I put it back in it printed clean for the first 40 pages approximately and then the line returned. In the picture attached you can see the line running horizontally. It does regardless of the image that is printed.

Any ideas on the cause and solution for this? Does the drum have to be replaced? I'm looking for one but so far having difficulty.

Thanks,
    Joel

2.jpg
    Im not familiar with the xerox machine but the ITB unit from the other machine has a wiping blade...Did you check if the ITB unit from your machine is having wiping blade? If there is wiping blade try to inspect and clean or change it.....good luck...

Technician

Thanks for the reply. The IBT cleaning blade was recently serviced. I'm seeing the lines on the copy drum so I believe they are originating there. I just don't know if the lines mean the drum is past its service life or if there is something else on the drum side that is causing it.

More lines are developing now after 500 additional prints (attached). I'm still able to use half the upper half of the prints though.

IMG_4989.JPG

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

The drum also has a blade. But it probably isn't worth the effort to try to change the blade. You likely just need a new drum. I'm not sure what part of the world you're in, but DC12 drums are fairly cheap these days. And then EVERYTHING is new.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

have you cleaned the laser scanner lens?
    does this unit have a charge roller in the drum unit? if so that could be the problem.
    since it is on the drum I think you can rule out the ITB simply because the ITB gets the toner FROM the drum initially so it there WASN'T a line on the drum .. yes suspect the ITB.. but since there is... look at drum components first. or what is putting image/charge to the drum.

Technician

I did actually change the cleaning blade on the drum as this part was available (the blade) when the drum was out of stock. Oddly, after this the problem moved to the other side of the print and got much worse after 50 prints. Thanks for the confirmation that was on the right track regarding the source of the toner.

I think I cleaned the lens on the laser - I used a foam cleaning pad on a wand and ran it down what I think was the lens from the ROS. I was surprised it didn't run the length of the drum but that's probably why it's a lens and not just a window.

The Parts Drop received more drums on Friday and I'll have 2 of them today so I'll update this post. They said it may be the Charge Corona that is failing and not the drum (hence no damage visible) but that part alone from Xerox is more than half the cost of a new drum.

I did actually change the cleaning blade on the drum as this part was available (the blade) when the drum was out of stock. Oddly, after this the problem moved to the other side of the print and got much worse after 50 prints. Thanks for the confirmation that was on the right track regarding the source of the toner.
    did you put setting powder on the blade and drum when you replaced the blade?

Technician

No I didn't - what is setting powder? I did notice that with the new blade it had a slight squeak to it and I didn't know if that was normal.

No I didn't - what is setting powder? I did notice that with the new blade it had a slight squeak to it and I didn't know if that was normal.
    it's a powder used to lubricate drums and blades... this could be the reason it messed up so quick after blade replacement.

some techs use toner ( that doesn't have dev powder in it ) instead... but I have some and always used it since I was re manufacturing HP toners.

Technician

That could explain why it continued to get worse.

I replaced the drum cartridge yesterday afternoon and the problem is resolved. Thanks for all the information.