Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    How to get Jam codes on a Docucolor 250 (Jams on 70lb and above paper)

I am probably missing something real simple here. But how do you get the Jam codes off this machine ? This customer is running heavy bond paper and it sticks just coming out of the fuser. (You have to open the finisher door to clear it). I am thinking that I need to replace the fuser but the one that's in there is not even a year old. Thanks for any help

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: How to get Jam codes on a Docucolor 250 (Jams on 70lb and above paper)

ok what have you tried?

suggest checking the paper setting for each tray vs what is on the computer

size - type - weight

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    ok what have you tried?

suggest checking the paper setting for each tray vs what is on the computer

size - type - weight
    I replaced all feed tires with OEM including bypass. I have had them adjust the settings from the computer. Not the machine. Cleaned every sensor I could find in the area of jam. (Just when paper exits the fuser. Paper is cleared by opening up finisher and lower right door.) Thanks so much for your feedback !!!....

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doug James View Post
    I replaced all feed tires with OEM including bypass. I have had them adjust the settings from the computer. Not the machine. Cleaned every sensor I could find in the area of jam. (Just when paper exits the fuser. Paper is cleared by opening up finisher and lower right door.) Thanks so much for your feedback !!!....
    you need to make the settings on the computer jive with the printer!

It could be the inverter gate that it is causing the jam.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Go into machine status, Error History and let us know the codes. Let me guess, paper passes thru fuser and goes to the bottom of copier and jams on the side coming back up? Check motor, clean sensors. We need codes to better understand.

Does this happen only on 70lb +?
    Is this a duplex job? If so does it only jam when flipping?

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by JrTech View Post
    Go into machine status, Error History and let us know the codes. Let me guess, paper passes thru fuser and goes to the bottom of copier and jams on the side coming back up? Check motor, clean sensors. We need codes to better understand.

Does this happen only on 70lb +?
    Is this a duplex job? If so does it only jam when flipping?

Hope this helps
    I messed with this copier for a long time today... Jam code is 077-107 "Fuser exit sensor off" There seems to be a few other problems also. focusing on this one. The paper jams when it is exiting the fuser going down. Only when 2 siding it appears. At this point 20 LB paper is doing this. Any ideas would be helpful... I am just getting familiar with this machine... THANKS SO MUCH !!!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doug James View Post
    I messed with this copier for a long time today... Jam code is 077-107 "Fuser exit sensor off" There seems to be a few other problems also. focusing on this one. The paper jams when it is exiting the fuser going down. Only when 2 siding it appears. At this point 20 LB paper is doing this. Any ideas would be helpful... I am just getting familiar with this machine... THANKS SO MUCH !!!
    I'm going to assume genuine Xerox toner. If you're using generic, that's your problem. Seriously. I'd bet a testicle on it.

So, assuming it IS the correct genuine toner, here are a couple of the more unusual reasons I've seen for fuser exit jams over the years.

1) If everything SEEMS fine, i.e. no actual jamming or accordian-ing of the paper, and it makes it part-way out the fuser into the Duplex area, you MIGHT have a bad exit sensor in the fuser. I have had this happen many times, usually towards the end of the fuser's life. Usually, however, I only experience this when running B&W speeds, though, not color. If you have a spare known-good fuser, a swap will verify if this is it or not.

2) There are some black plastic paper-path parts in the inverter which the paper travels across directly to the right of the fuser when duplexing or simplexing... I have a couple times had them get gunked up with stuff JUST enough that when printing lighter weight papers, or even heavier paper when the machine is running hot (i.e., the room is warm) and the gunk actually causes the still-hot toner on the sheet to stick, just enough to trigger the jam.

3) If you also have stopped paper part-way across the 2nd BTR, and there is some solid-black printed right in the middle of the page, sometimes the 2nd BTR exit sensor sees (or doesn't see, as the case may be) this solid black and thinks there is "no paper" there and triggers a jam. There is usually paper in the fuser at this point, too, assuming continuous printing was occurring. This is a false sensor read due to very dark/black toner on the sheet right in the middle which would be directly over the 2nd BTR exit sensor. So if this isn't the case with what you're printing, this one isn't it.

If the toner is STICKING to the fuser roller, I'd be going back to the authenticity of the toner. I've never had legitimate toner stick to the fuser roller except when there was an unrelated jam and a sheet was mid-way through the fuser and I didn't get over there and clear the jam right away and that mid-way sheet was just sitting there in the fuser the whole time.

Don't know if this will help. These all took a while to track down because they aren't immediately obvious, but all cause jams in the fuser. Although, except in the case of #1, the fuser wasn't what causes the ORIGINAL jam.

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine View Post
    I'm going to assume genuine Xerox toner. If you're using generic, that's your problem. Seriously. I'd bet a testicle on it.

So, assuming it IS the correct genuine toner, here are a couple of the more unusual reasons I've seen for fuser exit jams over the years.

1) If everything SEEMS fine, i.e. no actual jamming or accordian-ing of the paper, and it makes it part-way out the fuser into the Duplex area, you MIGHT have a bad exit sensor in the fuser. I have had this happen many times, usually towards the end of the fuser's life. Usually, however, I only experience this when running B&W speeds, though, not color. If you have a spare known-good fuser, a swap will verify if this is it or not.

2) There are some black plastic paper-path parts in the inverter which the paper travels across directly to the right of the fuser when duplexing or simplexing... I have a couple times had them get gunked up with stuff JUST enough that when printing lighter weight papers, or even heavier paper when the machine is running hot (i.e., the room is warm) and the gunk actually causes the still-hot toner on the sheet to stick, just enough to trigger the jam.

3) If you also have stopped paper part-way across the 2nd BTR, and there is some solid-black printed right in the middle of the page, sometimes the 2nd BTR exit sensor sees (or doesn't see, as the case may be) this solid black and thinks there is "no paper" there and triggers a jam. There is usually paper in the fuser at this point, too, assuming continuous printing was occurring. This is a false sensor read due to very dark/black toner on the sheet right in the middle which would be directly over the 2nd BTR exit sensor. So if this isn't the case with what you're printing, this one isn't it.

If the toner is STICKING to the fuser roller, I'd be going back to the authenticity of the toner. I've never had legitimate toner stick to the fuser roller except when there was an unrelated jam and a sheet was mid-way through the fuser and I didn't get over there and clear the jam right away and that mid-way sheet was just sitting there in the fuser the whole time.

Don't know if this will help. These all took a while to track down because they aren't immediately obvious, but all cause jams in the fuser. Although, except in the case of #1, the fuser wasn't what causes the ORIGINAL jam.
    Wow THANKS So Much !!! I can't tell you how much of a huge help this was... With all things considered, I believe the Fierey is the culpritt. It makes strange noises and the machine is just acting Bizaar... Using OEM toner, had Reman drums but switched to OEM... Told them time to by another machine... DC 252