Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Software Install on Scrubbed or replaced HDe - Xerox WorkCentre 58xx series

Hello fellow Xerox techs, I'm familiar with replacing software on some of the older systems, but what about the new series machines that have SIM cards? Can I still just download the SPAR software and do a thumbdrive install? I have a Xerox WorkCentre 5890 that had the Hard Drive scrubbed, and now I need to install the software completely from scratch.

Thank you in advance for helping me. Besides the general instructions, my two other concerns are:
    1.) Do I need any type of an "activation" from Xerox? And,
    2.) Can I do it without the Xerox Support Laptop? (from a thumbdrive)

Before you simply put it on a thumbdrive that was formatted to FAT32 and then renamed the text file to "FORCED_UPGRADE" and it would do it.. Is this still the same procedure for the newer SIM card units?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Software Install on Scrubbed or replaced HDe - Xerox WorkCentre 58xx series

Ive always found that the sim cards get read once at initial power on and than never touched again. At least on the 93xx ColorQubes. Sim card will set machine speed, meter style etc. to nvm.

Just altboot it.

Sent from my SM-J120W using Tapatalk

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Exok's Avatar

scrubbing the HDD with not mess with the machine's NVM settings (where the machine speed is stored).

On a thumb drive, create a folder named "altboot".
    Inside the folder, place the software file (the .DLM file)
    Create 3 text files. Delete the .TXT extension. Name them "FORCED_UPGRADE", "DISABLE_DATA_BACKUP", and "IGNORE_MISSING_MODULES".
    Place these 3 files in your altboot folder.
    Plug in your thumb drive in one of the USB ports at the back of the machine and power on.

1 thing I've come to learn is to make sure not to touch the machine until the software is completely done installing. Once I got bored and decided to clean the Doc Feeder rollers & sensors while it was halfway through and opening the top cover caused the software load to fail and I had to start all over again.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Exok is write. Do not do a Forced Altboot unless you are trying to rewrite the entire system. Replaced HDD only requires an Altboot. I will warn you right now that the 73 Connect Key Software takes along time. Safe bet is to load 73 go grab a coffee and come back, remove USB WHEN THE MACHINE ASKS YOU TO, it will reboot a few times and viola 1hr 30 mins later you will have connect key software loaded. It is almost as fun as watching w

Hope this helps