Thread: HDD overwite

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts 20 year tech's Avatar

HDD overwite

We are primarily a Canon and HP dealer but we are working with an outside vendor with equipment in our footprint. we recently received 4 Xerox devices 2 WorkCentre 5330 and 2 Workcentre 5755's they requested to have the HDD's cleared and sent us the procedure to do them, the 5755's took about 30 minutes and printed out a nice confirmation report stating it was done, the 5330's however took about 30 seconds and no report, is this normal ??

the procedure I used on the 5330's was overwrite Hard disk with 3 overwrites in the authentication/security settings screen in the tools section.

any input appreciated

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: HDD overwite

Yes what you did is correct. Now if you want to clear all data from the machine below is the process. if you plan on returning these to your fleet for service be warned as this procedure erases all data and current settings. This is procedure I use to factory reset machines that I get in.

1. Enter UI Diagnostic mode
    2. Select Delete All Data.
    3. Select Start.
    4. A confirmation message appears. Select Delete.
    5. The Deleting data... message appears.
    6. When the message indicating the completion appears, exit UI Diagnostic mode, Switch off the power, then switch on the power.

#6 is important

Hope this helps