Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    DC250 vs DC252 vs 560 toner cartridge behavior

Wondering if someone could help me out... I'm trying to find out how the DocuColor 252 behaves when you put in a new toner cartridge.

For example, on a WorkCentre 76xx machine, if you put in a new cartridge, even if the CRUM chip is old and expired, it will still use the toner. Forever. It never rejects a toner cartridge because of an "expired" CRUM chip no matter how many times you use it, as long as there is toner in the cartridge. (The "percent remaining" on the Consumables tab doesn't work, though...)

However, on the WorkCentre 77xx machines, they updated the behavior. If you do the same thing, it will run for a few hundred prints, and then it will stop and reject the re-used chip.

Why I'm asking... Obviously this would be good for people who re-fill. I don't actually refill because I have never found ANY generic toners which work properly, long term, in these machines. But I DO like to use the 700 or 560 series toners in my older machines. The newer low-melt toner, in an older high-heat fuser makes for some awesome gloss, when you want it! So I have a machine dedicated to just this arrangement. I just pop off the colored handle and they slide in fine. After taking the chip off the old empty cartridge and putting it onto the new cartridge. On the machine where I do this, I've been using the SAME five chips (2K, CMY) for over 7 years continuously... haha

But, I would like to switch to a high-heat DocuColor so that I can have a Fiery workflow. So it'd have to be a 240/250 or 242/252/260... After they, they are all low-melt machines. And I loose the high-gloss benefit of a low-melt toner in a high-heat machine.

I (think!) that the DocuColor 240/250 works the same as the older WorkCentre, and you can re-use the chip again and again. Can someone confirm? But I have NO IDEA if the slightly newer 242/252/260 series changed like the WorkCentre 77xx series changed, or if that change didn't happen until the 550/560/570 generation.

Any direct experience help would be appreciated!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: DC250 vs DC252 vs 560 toner cartridge behavior

You can milk chips on a 240 as well.

Sent from my SM-J120W using Tapatalk

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by prismtech View Post
    You can milk chips on a 240 as well.

Sent from my SM-J120W using Tapatalk
    Thanks!

I actually was thinking of the 240/250 as the same. Same generation, same firmware and all. But it is good to know definitively. The next generation, 242/252/260 are the big question mark for me.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

the chips are available online for the newer models. You can buy just the chip change and you are good to go .
    a machine is only as good as your tech : source:screwtape ; the scary one

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by davidj7 View Post
    the chips are available online for the newer models. You can buy just the chip change and you are good to go .
    I'm well aware.

I go through 100-200 cartridges a week. For the cost of 100-200 replacement chips per week, I can do without the 100%-0% counter on the UI.

I just want to make sure if I get an old 252 or 260 that I can continue the same way, hence the question that I am asking.

Thanks for trying to help, though!