Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

Xerox 550 taking metered and sold toner

I have bought some toners but the P/N on them is not the same as usual. Upon some research the new P/N is for "metered" toner but I bought my machine used and not from authorized Xerox dealer. I don't have any Xerox contract or anything like that.

I have only tried the black toner and it works fine in my machine, no errors. Should I expect the color metered toner to also work? Should I block the machine at the firewall so it can not communicate out to Xerox and maybe have this capability disabled? When I first set it up it was giving some errors that it could not reach the Xerox Communication Server (DCS) so I disabled that option to get the error to go away.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: Xerox 550 taking metered and sold toner

I would make sure that it doesn't communicate with Xerox Direct.

You are correct they will disable the ability to use "metered" supplies as soon as it logs in.

You would then have to get a new PIN number and install it in order to use "metered" supplies.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Xerox 550 taking metered and sold toner

Quote Originally Posted by rockdude View Post
    I would make sure that it doesn't communicate with Xerox Direct.

You are correct they will disable the ability to use "metered" supplies as soon as it logs in.

You would then have to get a new PIN number and install it in order to use "metered" supplies.
    You would think so, but I've watched machines eat metered supplies for years while communicating with Xerox.

As an FYI even if you disable Xerox DCS they still phone home like E.T. if they can fire packets to the Internet. Port sniff anything running ConnectKey. What are they saying to Xerox? No idea.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk