Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Help on colorqube 8570 91,720 error

Was trained some time ago on tektronix 350,360 and worked on up to phaser 860. I have not seen these for a long time until I was sent to look at a colorqube 8570.
    It would start to initialize & warm up to about 11%, get the code, reboot and start over again indefinitely. I saw online a guy in germany said he cleared the error log,let it keep rebooting for an hour, then it started working. No such luck for me. I tried it and it just stops at the error, no reboot.

I went through the diagnostics in the book. No ink spills, no broken head tilt gear, roll block is oriented & turning free, print head bars aren't cracked, solenoid is firing, and the latch is moving freely. I can tilt & home the printhead all day by hand. X axis motor moves side to side. The flow charts all lead to the process assy. even though I can't really see a problem with it.

So, I ordered & installed a process assy. & drum maint. cam shaft ( in case of cracks), powered up & went back to repeated booting. Now it stopped on the error. Is there anything to check that they don't mention in the book? The customer would like his machine back soon. Thank you to anyone who might consider this one.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Re: Help on colorqube 8570 91,720 error

Hi there,

I fix these things all the time. Only thing left to check would be the head tilt gear train, the mounting posts can break and the plastic can crack, there is a post repair kit available for the gear train which is easy to fit. I've attached a PDF to this post to better explain the head tilt gear train problems

Other things to double check:

Use a flat blade screwdriver to turn the DM camshaft to manually move the printhead through it's head tilt process, it should be smooth and not feel graty, actuate the solenoid every time the screwdriver won't turn, you should need to actuate it twice, once before you start turning the screwdriver and once about half way through.

Make sure printhead wiring is retained properly, this can interfere with head tilt if it's in the way.

If you've already had the head tilt gear out, is the leaf spring still there? You would have needed to use a screwdriver to bend the spring out of the way to get the head tilt gear back in place. If not it's not in place properly.

Dot on DM camshaft needs to be exactly at the 6 o'clock position when the process drive is homed and installed, even if it's out by 1 tooth machine will throw up 91-720 head tilt faults. Easiest way to make sure is to install the process drive when the maintenance kit is installed so it provides some weight.

There are tiny plastic locators / pips when installing the process drive, look for these and if they have sheared off just drill holes and drive in self tapping screws.

Transfix camshaft should be in it's home position when installing the process drive, there is a dot on the gear and this needs to be exactly in the 11 o'clock position.

If machine has done more than 100k it's worth checking the bearings on the transfix camshaft, clean and re-lubricate.

That's about it really, if that doesn't solve it it's probably electrical, I'd look to change the electronics module and after that I'd MEX (technical exchange) it.

*EDIT* Another thing I just remembered, check the transfix load arms, open the front cover and remove the duplex quide and you'll see 2 hooks on a metal assembly, if one of these has broken it usually throws up a 94-700 fault but can sometimes throw up the 91-720.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Richard.Xerox; 03-21-2018 at 01:15 AM.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Could one of the ink bars be stuck against the drum causing it not to rotate?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I would like to thank those who replied with their suggestions, although this machine is still giving me problems. I ordered and installed the sleeve kit as suggested. I was hopeful as a piece was broken on one of the bosses,but, the error still returns. It will boot repeatedly then eventually stop on the code. It always gets to 11%, then stops. I feel no resistance turning it by hand. When it starts over, the head continues its path to the print position.

It makes no sense to me. Are there any position sensors I must check ? I've had this apart & together several times to see if anything is binding up. I have already put in the sleeve kit, maint. cam, and process motor assy. I don't know how much an electronics module would be. Do you have to be a certified dealer to make a technical exchange ? Thank you for taking the time to look this over.

Field Service Engineer 50+ Posts harps05's Avatar

Hey Mate,

Did you end up finding a solution to this?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

91,720 Indicates a fault with the printhead tilt system.

So logically the first thing you want to do is to manually tilt the print head from home position though the full tilt position and back to see if you can "feel" or "notice" what's causing the bind.

So to start, make sure the printhead is centered in the machine by turning the screw in the X-axis motor with a screwdriver left or right to center the printhead.

When the printhead is centered make sure the process drive hole is in the six o’clock position.
    (The transfix shaft hole should be at 10 o'clock position.)

Then make sure the printhead is set to the home position all the way forward (about a quarter inch from the drum)
    (If it is not, manually take the printhead and make sure it is unlocked, there are levers on both the right and left printhead restraints that sometimes stick in the locked position. Pull the printhead back manually to unlock them) The printhead will come forward to the home position.

Then insert a screwdriver into the slot of the metal post going through the bottom gear of the process drive and turn clockwise.
    The printhead should start to tilt backward and then after reaching its maximum rear tilt it will start to come forward back to the home position. If while starting to turn the process drive gear you feel a bind and cannot go any further you must release the head tilt solenoid on the left side of the machine you will have to lift the lever arm up to release it so the print head may perform it’s full tilt procedure.

Now go back and continue turning the process drive gear. It should smoothly move the printhead back then forward for one cycle. Then it will be in rest position and the process drive gear will just spin. It will be necessary to lift the latch on the printhead tilt solenoid again for you to start another cycle.

Continue this procedure noting if you feel and broken or cracked gears while the printhead goes back and forward while turning the process drive.
    Repair whatever is causing the printhead to bind while tilting back and forth and you will have solved your problem.
    Report back how you did.

Field Service Engineer 50+ Posts harps05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rockdude View Post
    Report back how you did.
    Thanks for the tips on the positioning of the printhead during the homing sequence.

So after many attempts at rehoming process gears with no result, I decided to remove the printhead. As I have limited expreience with these models, I was unsure as to the proper movement of the head. With the error constantly occuring, I thought maybe there was wax/ink pooled under the head preventing it from dropping into position correctly.

After removing the head and finding minor areas of ink, I decided to remove the printhead tilt gear. You guessed it, it was broken. Broken on the solenoid side which I thought was strange. So after odering a new one and relacing it, it is all good now.

Once again, I appreciate your help.

Thank You
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Glad you got it straightened out.