Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    9301 ColorQube...   Boot Loop green splash screen /  Altboot wont load?

Re: 9301 ColorQube... Boot Loop green splash screen / Altboot wont load?

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianEH View Post
    Adriansto said this isnt a problem. to swap the HDD. is this correct or not?

It forsure is a 9301 and have used multiple new and older USB drives. The usb drive I used most recently had a LED light on showing that the drive was being accessed while plugged in ( blinking like a HDD light, not steady) but still didnt seem to boot the machine.

When you turn the machine on.. it makes seems to make all the same noises as the working one. like it is initializing. just seems to stick and not fully load up software. Should I try a force upgrade instead of altboot?

On the side note of this

Can I remove the printheads and put them into my working machine? I have a slight light stripes issue on the working one. ( not a huge deal but would be nice to be gone)
    1.) You cannot swap drives between units and expect them to boot. Only with a fresh altboot would the swapped drive load. There is a process that happens during the drive encryption that locks it to the machine. If you try this between a connect key machine and a non connect key machine you will brick the LCD screen (UI).

2.) Breaking a print head off of the marking unit to swap is a last resort. It is 50:50 wether it will reseal to the other machine. Most times you kill them.

3.) Swap the entire marking unit from machine to machine whilst also swapping the nvram module from the IME.

4.) If you really wanted to altboot your bricked machine, you would stop messing around and find a 500gb SATA drive from a laptop that is surfaced scanned good. You would then plug it into the machine in place of the 320gb that is currently there. Place USB stick fat_32 format with the altboot directory into the REAR of the machine. Done. No using a sata drive that has ever been plugged into another copier.

If that doesn't work, you are in over your head. Ie. Bad battery on the MPU or something else that takes a Master tech to fix.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by prismtech View Post
    1.) You cannot swap drives between units and expect them to boot. Only with a fresh altboot would the swapped drive load. There is a process that happens during the drive encryption that locks it to the machine. If you try this between a connect key machine and a non connect key machine you will brick the LCD screen (UI).

2.) Breaking a print head off of the marking unit to swap is a last resort. It is 50:50 wether it will reseal to the other machine. Most times you kill them.

3.) Swap the entire marking unit from machine to machine whilst also swapping the nvram module from the IME.

4.) If you really wanted to altboot your bricked machine, you would stop messing around and find a 500gb SATA drive from a laptop that is surfaced scanned good. You would then plug it into the machine in place of the 320gb that is currently there. Place USB stick fat_32 format with the altboot directory into the REAR of the machine. Done. No using a sata drive that has ever been plugged into another copier.

If that doesn't work, you are in over your head. Ie. Bad battery on the MPU or something else that takes a Master tech to fix.

I will try that procedure in #4 again.

On a side note... there was NO HDD in the machine at all. It had been pulled out before we bought them as per the previous owners policy. ( one wasnt inside when we got them.) The Altboot procedure worked from USB on the second machine and a 320GB Laptop drive that I put in.

Is it possible to swap the whole motherboard with the working machine? to see if we can get it going?

What does that little sim card on the back of the machine do what if we swapped those?

When you say to swap the entire marking unit, do you mean the entire 24" x 14" x 12" unit on slides that comes out of the front of the machine? ( contains all 4 print heads, wax reservoirs etc?)

Not just this piece?
    604k83791.jpg

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I will try that procedure in #4 again.

On a side note... there was NO HDD in the machine at all. It had been pulled out before we bought them as per the previous owners policy. ( one wasnt inside when we got them.) The Altboot procedure worked from USB on the second machine and a 320GB Laptop drive that I put in.

Is it possible to swap the whole motherboard with the working machine? to see if we can get it going?

What does that little sim card on the back of the machine do what if we swapped those?

When you say to swap the entire marking unit, do you mean the entire 24" x 14" x 12" unit on slides that comes out of the front of the machine? ( contains all 4 print heads, wax reservoirs etc?)

Not just this piece?
    604k83791.jpg
    1.) Sim card doesn't do anything in your situation.

2.) Don't waste your time swapping the main engine motherboard, your only going to brick the other one too.

3.) Try another hard drive other than any you have tried before. Even one bad sector will cause it to do exactly what it is doing to you.

4.) The box on slides is the marking unit. The only positive thing about these wretched units is you can swap the entire thing between colorqubes. Nvram on the ime needs to swap at the same time. Ie. The little chip on the back of the marking unit.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by prismtech View Post

4.) The box on slides is the marking unit. The only positive thing about these wretched units is you can swap the entire thing between colorqubes. Nvram on the ime needs to swap at the same time. Ie. The little chip on the back of the marking unit.

Sounds to me like you REALLY like these machines and they are your favorite to work on.. Haha

I am going to buy a new HDD today... instead of using one sitting around. Ill try that and report back. I have a feeling the result will be the same.

If I remove the marking unit and plug it into my working machine, will it show the original number of prints for that marking unit? or will it reset at zero?

Anything else I should know about removing that marking unit and putting it into my working machine to try it? Ill see if I can find the little chip your talking about before removing. Just to get this right, I should be able to swap the entire marking unit back and forth with no issue to the working machine?

Thanks everyone for all the help.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Sounds to me like you REALLY like these machines and they are your favorite to work on.. Haha

I am going to buy a new HDD today... instead of using one sitting around. Ill try that and report back. I have a feeling the result will be the same.

If I remove the marking unit and plug it into my working machine, will it show the original number of prints for that marking unit? or will it reset at zero?

Anything else I should know about removing that marking unit and putting it into my working machine to try it? Ill see if I can find the little chip your talking about before removing. Just to get this right, I should be able to swap the entire marking unit back and forth with no issue to the working machine?

Thanks everyone for all the help.
    The problem is they're prone to cascading failure. You poke at it too much for one issue, you will break something else.

The copy count is stored on the main board up top, not the one on the marking unit.

You can swap the marking unit back and forth but like I said every time you poke at it you are throwing the dice. The print heads in that unit are probably shot too. Most colorqubes start streaking in the first three months or 20,000 impressions. It's pretty well hopeless to try and get them printing clean. Swap the marking unit only after the reservoir or umbilicals have blown.