Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Technician

Question 9301 ColorQube... Boot Loop green splash screen / Altboot wont load?

Good morning all!

Thank goodness for a forum like this one. I could really use a hand.

I just picked up 2 Xerox Colorqube 9301 machines from my local utility company who was moving offices and doing an upgrade to newer machines. Both machines had been in full working condition. The Catch is they removed the HDD as a matter of company policy and security (as they do with any device with a HDD) . So I believed it would be an easy job to put in a new HDD and get them going. Although I am not super familiar with XEROX machines.

- I currently only have one unit delivered to my office, and I have been trying to get it to run. I installed a new 2.5" 320gb HDD ( it was what I had on hand and access to)

- I made an altboot USB drive using the System Software Version 061.180.221.14709 from Xerox website. This coincides with the last version which was known to be on the machine from a year old configuration report printout.

But when you start the machine it makes sounds and goes through what seems like a normal start up routine. But the main LCD screen seems to hang on the Green xerox splash screen saying " Please wait while the machine powers up" Then will go black, and repeat this over and over. The USB stick led does light up for a short period of time during the bootup, but then shuts off and this repeats the same as the green splash screen.

Few things I am unsure about:
    - Do I need to replace the HDD with one that is the exact same 160GB as the previous drive?
    - Does it need to be any kind of special drive? SSD vs Mechanical?
    - Perhaps the USB drive isnt reading correctly? I have tried 3 different USB sticks all formatted in FAT32, with all different spellings of ALTBOOT, Altboot and altboot with the same result for each try.
    - There is a small single digit LCD on the back of the machine that reads out a few numbers.. do they correspond to error codes?

I am not quite sure where to go from here. Any help would certainly be appreciated.

Cheers and Thank you!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: 9301 ColorQube... Boot Loop green splash screen / Altboot wont load?

I am not sure but your hard drive may be too big. Check the LCD display on the back. If it is showing a "u" it is a problem with the hard drive.

Technician

Thanks for the reply Flash!

It does come up with a U then a few other digits.. But I am quiet certain that this isnt the issue. ( see Machine#2)

Machine#2 was also delivered today. I used the same 320gig HDD and same USB stick and was able to altboot just fine with the 061 firmware and have that machine up and running. Some light banding issues with the Jet test pages though, that haven't cleared up with the fast or full line fix. if anyone has any hints?

Machine#1:
    - could it be that the other machine was updated to the newer 071 CK firmware? and that is why the USB isnt reading?
    - The only thing I have in regards to the firmware version is a printed configuration report page form 1 year ago.
    - Still wont boot the USB drive I used to boo the other machine. That would likely eliminate USB compatibility and HDD..

Anyone have other ideas?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    9301 ColorQube...   Boot Loop green splash screen /  Altboot wont load?

Move hdd from working machine to the other one and watch what happen.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by adriansto View Post
    Move hdd from working machine to the other one and watch what happen.
    Hey Thanks Adriansto

Hmmm I will try that.. see what happens..

Out of curiosity, Isnt the serial coded into the firmware when you load it onto the HDD. so the others HDD may not work in this one?

Let ya know...

Thanks!

No, the machine serial number is not write on hdd

Technician

No, the machine serial number is not write on hdd
    Swapped out the HDD from machine #2 ( which boots up fine) and put it in Machine #1.

No change in boot. Still hanging and cycleing through black and green screen.

The code that pops up on the back of the machine is 82059. The seemingly flash and different speeds, not sure if that means anything. a Quick 8 , Quick 2 , Long 0 , quick 5 , quick 9. Not sure why the zero hold for so long, and the other numbers are so quick, almost a flash. This code is the same when trying to boot with either the USB or the HDD.

I am guessing something is obviously holding the machine from booting from HDD or USB.

Any opinions?

Swap the hdd cable from one machine to other.
    If that dont works place a call for xerox service.
    If you still want to fix yourself you'll need at least service manual for this machine.

Technician

Swap the hdd cable from one machine to other.
    If that dont works place a call for xerox service.
    If you still want to fix yourself you'll need at least service manual for this machine.

We do not have an account or service contract with xerox. These are our first Xerox machines. So it would be up to me to try fix it.

I can pick up a service manual as I will likely need it down the road anyways.

Is it possible that the machine had been upgraded to the 071 CK firmware , making my 061 firmware USB altboot and the swapped 061 firmware HDD usless?

Thanks

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I work in the GTA and service these machines exclusively.

I also have full spares ava.

Contact me if you are looking for ColorQube service.