Field Service Engineer 50+ Posts harps05's Avatar

ColorQube 8570 - Jamming, Poor image quality

Hi All,

I hope this is in the correct forum as I couldn't find a Xerox category in the Printer Forum.

My background is mainly Sharp MFC's so looking at these ColorQubes' usually have me tearing my hair out.

Apart from our main Sharp work, we also do 3rd party contract work which see's us looking at a broad range of makes.

This machine in particular seems to be jamming every 2nd or 3rd page. Print quality is terrible, after the user told me he wiped the drum.

So I have the following parts ready to go in:

• Drum assy
    • Printhead wiper
    • Drum maintenance Kit
    • Drum Wiper Blade assy
    • Pick assy
    • Out Takeaway guide

Replacing these parts isn't my problem. My problem me is that when I arrived at the site they had the Drum maintence Kit removed and it would not go back in. I had to boot the machine and when the blade assy lowered I pulled the power plug to be able to refit it. When I returned today to fit a new one, I could not, simply, remove it without going through the same process. I'm wondering if it's a timing issue that is contributng to the whole jam, print issues. Although, the machine powers on fine and comes to a ready state as normal with no error codes at all.

Would love some input.

Thanks everyone.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: ColorQube 8570 - Jamming, Poor image quality

Quote Originally Posted by harps05 View Post
    Hi All,
    I hope this is in the correct forum as I couldn't find a Xerox category in the Printer Forum.
    My background is mainly Sharp MFC's so looking at these ColorQubes' usually have me tearing my hair out.
    Apart from our main Sharp work, we also do 3rd party contract work which see's us looking at a broad range of makes.
    This machine in particular seems to be jamming every 2nd or 3rd page. Print quality is terrible, after the user told me he wiped the drum.
    So I have the following parts ready to go in:

• Drum assy
    • Printhead wiper
    • Drum maintenance Kit
    • Drum Wiper Blade assy
    • Pick assy
    • Out Takeaway guide

Replacing these parts isn't my problem. My problem me is that when I arrived at the site they had the Drum maintence Kit removed and it would not go back in. I had to boot the machine and when the blade assy lowered I pulled the power plug to be able to refit it. When I returned today to fit a new one, I could not, simply, remove it without going through the same process. I'm wondering if it's a timing issue that is contributng to the whole jam, print issues. Although, the machine powers on fine and comes to a ready state as normal with no error codes at all.
    Would love some input.
    Thanks everyone.
    with the broad array of parts you are getting... the customer could have bought a new one.

what is the jam code? where is it jamming?

do you have smears or streaks? there is procedures in the machine for quality issues.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Okay what "Phil B" said was absolutely correct, in that you really should give the jam codes to

help us help you, but today is your lucky day I had some extra time so I will give you my over 20 years’ experience dealing with solid ink. (Yes 20 years I was fixing the 340 and 350 from Tektronix).

With the model you are referencing (8570) here is my list, in order of likely hood.

This by “NO” means the complete list, just what I “Personally” have found.

For jams that usually end up in the Preheater area.

Process Drive and timing. No. 1 (Please install stabilizer bushing as well)

2. D.M. Cam Shaft (Cracked) also check the timing

3. Feed Roller Kit (The one that snaps into place)

4. Media Gear Drive (Cracked Gears)

5. Pre-Heater Desqew assembly

6. Y-Axis Drive belt

After the above it could be anything from broken flags, crimped orbroken wires, bad sensors, etc.

(If not the above the Jam Codes are a must)

As for blurry crappy print:

1. NUMBER ONE “DRUM CLEANING BLADE” (Just because you see it doesn't mean it isn't bad. While most of the time it will just fall off
    I have had a lot that came unglued in the middle or on the end) CHECK IT THROUGHLY !!!

2. Bad Maintenance kit

3. Pre-Heater Deskew (Garbage caught in between metal slot)
    Bad X-Axis Motor

4. Wave Amp Board or Wave Amp Cable.

For missing jets (After performing “Light Stripes Test”)

Printhead

2. Wave amp board or cable

3. Electronics Module

Here the lesson endith (Untouchables Quote…lol)

Good luck.

Let us know how you make out.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rockdude View Post
    Okay what "Phil B" said was absolutely correct, in that you really should give the jam codes to
    help us help you, but today is your lucky day I had some extra time so I will give you my over 20 years’ experience dealing with solid ink. (Yes 20 years I was fixing the 340 and 350 from Tektronix).
    With the model you are referencing (8570) here is my list, in order of likely hood.
    This by “NO” means the complete list, just what I “Personally” have found.
    For jams that usually end up in the Preheater area.
    1. Process Drive and timing. No. 1 (Please install stabilizer bushing as well)
    2. D.M. Cam Shaft (Cracked) also check the timing
    3. Feed Roller Kit (The one that snaps into place)
    4. Media Gear Drive (Cracked Gears)
    5. Pre-Heater Desqew assembly
    6. Y-Axis Drive belt
    After the above it could be anything from broken flags, crimped orbroken wires, bad sensors, etc.
    (If not the above the Jam Codes are a must)
    As for blurry crappy print:
    1. NUMBER ONE “DRUM CLEANING BLADE” (Just because you see it doesn't mean it isn't bad. While most of the time it will just fall off
    I have had a lot that came unglued in the middle or on the end) CHECK IT THROUGHLY !!!
    2. Bad Maintenance kit
    3. Pre-Heater Deskew (Garbage caught in between metal slot)
    Bad X-Axis Motor
    4. Wave Amp Board or Wave Amp Cable.
    For missing jets (After performing “Light Stripes Test”)
    1. Printhead
    2. Wave amp board or cable
    3. Electronics Module
    Here the lesson endith (Untouchables Quote…lol)
    Good luck.
    Let us know how you make out.
    totally agree with rockdude ( bout the same yrs in solid ink in .. **340=PIG** ) BUT for PQ start with the internal cleanings..jet sub.

jamming can be ( with ANY printer: Rollers - de-skew (reg) or bits of paper)
    just wondering... what did they clean the "drum" with and did they mean the MAINT Roller?

process drives MOST times grinds like a hooker in your lap

but like I said before this is going to be an EXPENSIVE repair UNLESS you can return unused/needed parts

Sorry for the late reply guys. I appreciate the time.

OK, I have replaced the Drum unit, drum cleaning blade and the print head wiper.

I have the print head, wiper blade and process drive all lined up and in the home positions before start up. After start up, during warm up I'm getting a grind in the process gears and the printhead shift motor.

Error codes that I have seen are:

94,700.00:85425
    94,700.00:85417

89,572.00:85425

If I start up without the printhead maintenance kit installed, it gets all the way thru the warm up, with no grinds what so ever. If it's in, grinds and error codes.

Can someone have a look at the attached pics and tell me if the cleaning blade assembly should be in this position when the process gears have been aligned.

CQ8570_1.jpgCQ8570_2.jpgCQ8570_3.jpg

Any tips would be appreciated.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Okay you probably are “NOT” going to like what I am going to suggest be here goes.

I did not see that you replaced the D.M. Camshaft (Usually Cracks in the cams)
    If you "DID" then see below.

1. Did you install the "NEW" process drive with gears “Pinned” so as not to move the teeth?
    2. Are you sure you are in the “Home” position” Transfix cam at 10 Oclock? D.M. Camshaft at 6 Oclock and you are able to put a screwdriver in the D.M. Camshaft and turn it clockwise several revolutions without causing the printhead to move or tilt?
    3. If you have done both of the above and “STILL” hear a loud clicking and or grinding noise as it warms up it probably is the Print Head tilt gear train posts cracked or broken (see attachments)

Let us know if you have any questions.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks for the reply Rockdude. No I haven't replaced the the DM camshaft. And I will double check these home position pointers.

I had read about the Print Head tilt gear train posts tendency to crack.

Thanks again mate, I shall report back later.

So after replacing the drum, cleaning blade it was giving me constant 94,700's. After disassembling today I realised there seemed to be to much pressure on the resist roller arms, preventing free movement. This seemed to be caused by the drum unit having been tightened with too much rear biased pressure.

All good now, appreciate the input.

Thanks Guys.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

If it should suddenly comeback again, try changing the Y-Axis belt.

Good luck.