Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    DC 242 Fiery problem

DC 242 Fiery problem

Hi,

Have one DC 242 on the field wirh this problem.
    When power off machine on the power switch it immediately shut down machine and fiery.
    So fiery hdd get corrupted and have to reload software every 15 days.
    Anyone had this problem?

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    DC 242 Fiery problem

Re: DC 242 Fiery problem

Quote Originally Posted by bojans View Post
    Hi,
    Have one DC 242 on the field wirh this problem.
    When power off machine on the power switch it immediately shut down machine and fiery.
    So fiery hdd get corrupted and have to reload software every 15 days.
    Anyone had this problem?
    sounds like your HDD is failing. if you have to reload software that often the drive is losing clusters

DC 242 Fiery problem

Already changed HDD.
    As I said machine and fiery go down immediately as we press power button. It doesn't shut down properly, that's why hdd gets corrupted.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    DC 242 Fiery problem

Already changed HDD.
    As I said machine and fiery go down immediately as we press power button. It doesn't shut down properly, that's why hdd gets corrupted.
    The IOT is what controls power to the outlet that the Fiery uses (assuming you have the Fiery plugged directly into the IOT) so the problem would be on the 242, not soft powering down like it should.

My first curiosity would be if the Fiery is in fact getting the soft power down command, but the IOT is cutting its power before it can DO it. If you can, hook up a monitor and just before the power goes out, see if you notice it "start" the power down sequence.

If it is in fact getting the power down command, just not having enough time to complete it before the IOT cuts power, you could plug the Fiery into a wall outlet not controlled by the IOT. That way, while you troubleshoot why the IOT is being a jerk, your Fiery won't keep getting corrupted.

Lastly, if you haven't already, clone your Fiery HD so that if it does get corrupted, all you have to do is restore the cloned copy back onto the HD and go, rather than go through the whole re-install process.

(If you have the standalone Fiery and it already IS on its own dedicated outlet, I have no idea about that... Sorry.)

DC 242 Fiery problem

Thank you very much for your inputs.

It is bustled fiery that was connected to machine.
    We already put the Fiery to wall outlet and customer is shutting down it on green button. I didn't wait to see if it would go down itself Also they have hdmi monitor so i couldn't check what's going on.
    Next time will bring adapter and check everithing.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    DC 242 Fiery problem

Thank you very much for your inputs.

It is bustled fiery that was connected to machine.
    We already put the Fiery to wall outlet and customer is shutting down it on green button. I didn't wait to see if it would go down itself Also they have hdmi monitor so i couldn't check what's going on.
    Next time will bring adapter and check everithing.
    I never ever use the green button. Provided the IOT is working correctly, always let the IOT shut the Fiery down when you shut the whole machine down. If the IOT isn't shutting down correctly, see if you can't figure that out first, and then plug it back into the IOT and let it do it itself.

Personally, I would tell a customer to never interact with the Fiery (a bustled one, anyway) directly. No buttons, no switches, nothing. Let the IOT do everything. It doesn't need to be turned on or off manually.