Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Xerox DC 242 Compatible Toner

What are the thoughts on running the above machine on compatible toner? does it work ok with the same colour etc or is it one to stay away from at all costs?

Cheers
    Chris

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: Xerox DC 242 Compatible Toner

Quote Originally Posted by chrisio View Post
    What are the thoughts on running the above machine on compatible toner? does it work ok with the same colour etc or is it one to stay away from at all costs?

Cheers
    Chris
    None of them work. They might start off good, but they fail or cause other problems in short order. Like dusting which kills your even-more-expensive drums.

The 3rd party manufacturers will lie through their smiling teeth directly to your face telling you they are 100% compatible. They are not. I have spent many _hundreds_ of hours testing alternate toners in this specific family of machines, both for my own sake and under contract. After all of that, I only use OEM even though I hate the price.

I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents: I had a friend years ago that worked as an engineer for a large company that manufactured toner for the Xerox machines that I was working on at the time. He continually brought toner and developer for me to try in the machines. After trying the supplies in a few machines and finding out that they did not work well consistently, he explained the dilemma that the chemical companies have with developing supplies. The manufacturers patent their formulas and the competitive companies have to alter the formula components + or - 5% in order to not infringe on the patents.
    His analogy was Betty Crocker telling Duncan Hines that they can copy their chocolate cake mix exactly, except they can't use eggs. This is why most non-oem supplies just won't work right.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by exCSER View Post
    I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents: I had a friend years ago that worked as an engineer for a large company that manufactured toner for the Xerox machines that I was working on at the time. He continually brought toner and developer for me to try in the machines. After trying the supplies in a few machines and finding out that they did not work well consistently, he explained the dilemma that the chemical companies have with developing supplies. The manufacturers patent their formulas and the competitive companies have to alter the formula components + or - 5% in order to not infringe on the patents.
    His analogy was Betty Crocker telling Duncan Hines that they can copy their chocolate cake mix exactly, except they can't use eggs. This is why most non-oem supplies just won't work right.
    Also I think there is a degree of complexity to it. "Any"one can make toner, but to make it consistent over time is extremely difficult. Also, the developer aspect (magnetic iron powder) makes Xerox toner more difficult to "get right"... Ricoh has this same problem, and with their latest machines, KM does too now that they are using trickle charge. If you just have a big-ole-developer assembly full of factory developer, and the toner cartridges are "pure" toner, you can continue using factory developer with generic toner. As long that they can control the dusting (or the machine you are using happens to be good with dust extraction) calibration on higher end machines can USUALLY "slap" a toner that is slightly off-tone into shape.

But because Xerox has almost always used trickle charge, where some developer is mixed in with the toner in the cartridges to "top off" the developer assembly, the generics have to not only make compatible toner, but also compatible developer which is just as difficult.

Incidentally, my best results with generics, though still failures, were when I used the generic toner, but then mixed in the correct amount of developer, and I used authentic Xerox developer. That way there was no developer incompatibility. Unfortunately, the toners were still DUUUUUUUSTY and the foam brush on the drums would be ruined (and then in turn ruin the black PCR roller in the drum) after only a few thousand prints. The newer models which don't have the foam brush but instead have the foam roller are more robust, but still can't handle that much dust.

Also, I think there is a degree of unscrupulousness to some (not all) of the generic supply manufacturers. They know full well it doesn't work, but they are happy to lie and say it is 100% compatible (better than OEM, even!) and sell it regardless.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Thanks everyone. It's clear that on these machines compatible toners are a no. I will just keep my eyes open on eBay and buy them up as and when they are a good price.

Cheers

Also, I think there is a degree of unscrupulousness to some (not all) of the generic supply manufacturers. They know full well it doesn't work, but they are happy to lie and say it is 100% compatible (better than OEM, even!) and sell it regardless.[/QUOTE]

So true! Also, the only thing that the toner/developer companies can do is warrant their own product, which means if it doesn't work right, they'll give you another one. No concern for the hundreds (or thousands) of dollars in parts and labor that it costs to fix the problems that their product caused.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

So - Carrying on from this then - what is the difference to my machine for metered or un metered supplies? How can I tell which I have?

Thanks

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chrisio View Post
    So - Carrying on from this then - what is the difference to my machine for metered or un metered supplies? How can I tell which I have?

Thanks
    machines that use metered toner cannot use non-metered ... check parts numbers and order only those.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    machines that use metered toner cannot use non-metered ... check parts numbers and order only those.
    I think it should be machines that use non metered toners cannot use metered toners.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Ok - Just checked my magenta toner that is in the machine and the part no is 006R01451 I "think" this is a non metered toner - am I correct? If I am what will happen if I put a metered toner in there?

If I suspect the machine will reject the toner can I not just replace the toner chip and be on my way?

Thanks
    Chris