Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Replacing Hard Drives In Xerox Machines

Fellow Techs, Thanks in advance for anyone who offers information.<br><br>I'm currently replacing HD's in machines needing returned for lease. I've gotten The exact manufacturer's HD's that are currently in the machines, including the exact part numbers. But, they're not specifically from another Xerox machine, so I need to properly format them so I can install and run SPAR.<br><br>Here's what I can tell you. The machines I am replacing the drive in are all machines that "Do Not" have software directly on the HD. In fact, they are: WC5890's, WC5855's and CQ9203's.<br><br>What I need to know is "how to properly format" so that the drives will work properly once installed.<br><br>I am formatting in ExFAT and I'm not sure whether to use MBR or GPT style Partition style.<br><br>Also, is there anything else which I need to do in order to make these drives work?<br><br>Onsite now, so any immediate help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts jhalfhide's Avatar

Re: Replacing Hard Drives In Xerox Machines

I would argue that the built in image overwrite means you do not have to pull the HDD on these models. Simply go into security settings and run a full image overwrite to clean the HDD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Question Re: Replacing Hard Drives In Xerox Machines

Quote Originally Posted by jhalfhide View Post
    I would argue that the built in image overwrite means you do not have to pull the HDD on these models. Simply go into security settings and run a full image overwrite to clean the HDD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Totally agree, however, this is a very high security building, which means by government regulations they must swap out drive. So if I am forced to swap out drive, what is the standard procedure for making sure the new drive works?

I have already purchased the exact model of HD and just need to understand how to format, what partitions need created, etc. Or does the machine actually go through the entire procedure once it recognizes a new HD has been placed? Or, is there a procedure inside service mode that sets up a new HD?

I sincerely appreciate any help with this, but replacing the HD is something I have to do.

Sorry it took so long to reply, I was in a wreck and spent a little time laid up in the hospital..... Just now getting back to the bump and grind.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

You dont need to format and partition anything. Make sure you dont have any partition on new hdd.
    Then carefully note machine software versions for every machine you will change hdd.
    Obtain those software versions and use altboot procedure for reloading machine software.
    It is a good ideea to save or print configuration machine report to know the previous machine settings even you will change that. Also nvm save procedure is a must.
    A great ideea is to have service manual for the machine you will works on, just in case.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Thumbs up Re: Replacing Hard Drives In Xerox Machines

Quote Originally Posted by adriansto View Post
    You dont need to format and partition anything. Make sure you dont have any partition on new hdd.
    Then carefully note machine software versions for every machine you will change hdd.
    Obtain those software versions and use altboot procedure for reloading machine software.
    It is a good ideea to save or print configuration machine report to know the previous machine settings even you will change that. Also nvm save procedure is a must.
    A great ideea is to have service manual for the machine you will works on, just in case.
    Just for clarity.... If the machine has an outdated SPAR, that doesn't matter? Still use the original SPAR that was on the machine when loading a new HD and then update SPAR after successful HD installation??

Also, I don't think I've ever done the NVM Save procedure. So I will have to look that one up! But thank you for the great feedback! Much appreciated.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts knightfall's Avatar

My company usually buys hdd from cdw and we put in and load the firmware and its good to go no formating required, if these copiers are going back to the leasing company the only require that the copier can turn on and some cases make a copy. Good luck.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by knightfall View Post
    My company usually buys hdd from cdw and we put in and load the firmware and its good to go no formatting required, if these copiers are going back to the leasing company the only require that the copier can turn on and some cases make a copy. Good luck.
    I'm assuming that as long as the HD is formatted in FAT32 should be good?? I unfortunately don't have the software for the machine I'm replacing the HD on, so I'll just have to try and format the HD and then load the SPAR on a thumb drive and do the initial load SPAR routine from power on....

I wish I could connect with an organization like yours, that has the Hard drive Images for these different models and maybe pay you some money to send me that data because I do a lot of lease returns for high security machines. I am in Washington DC, so that should tell you how many times I deal with an organization that needs to keep their original HD.

Thanks for your information. I sincerely appreciate your help.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Question Re: Replacing Hard Drives In Xerox Machines

Today I got an order to replace a Hard Drive on a Xerox WorkCentre 7328. The problem with this machine is I don't think the main operating system is on the board. So when you replace the hard drive the operating system is on that drive. I looked up the SPAR for this machine, and most SPAR's are in .DLM file format. But this SPAR is in .BIN format.

I also noted that the procedure of turning the machine off and loading that onto a thumb drive, like you do the other machines, was not how you do this particular SPAR. Which tells me that its probably not your typical procedure to replace the Hard Drive either.

If anyone has experience in replacing Hard Drives, I could sincerely use your help...

XEROX WorkCentre 7328 SPAR Download - WorkCentre 7328/7335/7345/7346 with built-in controller File Download

XEROX WorkCentre 7328 SPAR Instructional PDF - http://download.support.xerox.com/pu...structions.pdf

Thanks!

bin file is usually a linux based OS works the same, as most print controllers are now Linux based OS systems

firmware is on the Xerox site for customers, Xerox had many others SPARS to address problems but that's not on the public site.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    bin file is usually a linux based OS works the same, as most print controllers are now Linux based OS systems

firmware is on the Xerox site for customers, Xerox had many others SPARS to address problems but that's not on the public site.
    I appreciate the input. I'm familiar with the baseline of what a .bin program is, but unfortunately I still don't know how to properly load this onto a hard drive so that I can change out the existing one.

Do you know the procedure for loading the .bin file onto the replacement hard drive so that my technician can successfully exchange them? I've heard so many conflicting things now that I am not sure what to do. Some say you have to "name" the drive, others say totally blank, and still others say there's a folder needing created, etc...

Thanks in advance for any information you may provide. We need to do that service by today..