Unhappy $20 REWARD for Fix! Xerox WorkCentre 6505 MCU Firmware Error

Hi all! I have a Xerox Workcentre 6505 that has MCU Firmware Error 024-340 with code 07000000. Originally the printer had an issue with resetting the toner waste count (would go to millions when reset), I read online that a firmware upgrade would help with that. I upgraded to the latest controller firmware available on Xerox's website through the firmware flash mode that I found in the service manual and that didn't fix it. Instead I picked up some cheap used boards for the printer (EEPROM, MCU, and ESS) that the seller says were working when pulled and swapped everything out. After that I successfully reset the toner count in the technician diagnostic menu and that all looks fine.

However despite this, my issue now is that the printer will only display the MCU firmware error when I turn it on. I tried the flowchart from the service manual, but it did not correct the issue. I'm thinking that the issue is I need to flash the engine firmware (I assume this is the MCU board's firmware?) to the printer instead of the controller, but I cannot find a copy online of it? Does anyone have a copy or any hints on how to fix it? It is a nice printer and I would prefer not to dump it due to a software error. If you can fix it, I will Paypal or Venmo you $20 because this has taken way too long and it's a rather large paperweight currently.

Thanks again and I look forward to hearing back,
    Matt

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Re: $20 REWARD for Fix! Xerox WorkCentre 6505 MCU Firmware Error

My best guess is you replaced all the boards at the same time? Not a good idea if you did. I’d try putting all original back in and replace one at a time so the serial/firmware is t compromised.

I have not seen this, this is a shot in the dark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Mr Xerox is correct. You cannot swap out all boards at once. If you can re install the original boards and get the machine back to at least a screen pop up, you can ForceAlt Boot machine to reload all software to same platform. When you swapped boards did you swap over the EEPROM, Memory and NVRAM x 2? There was an issue with this happening on this machine due to to supplies (neutral, sold vs metered) that would throw the machine into chaos. Example new install have neutral toners, yellow runs out and you replace with Sold toner, this in theory should set machine to a Sold maint plan. If you replace with a Metered Toner it should set to Metered Maint plan. If this is the case you have to replace all 4 toners with Metered toner to reset the maint plan. These machines are very specific when it comes to toner. Generics do not do well in these machines. You may have a completely dead machine due to board swapping as each runs off the other for specific functions.

Hope this helps

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
     REWARD for Fix! Xerox WorkCentre 6505 MCU Firmware Error

I can only speak for myself. No need to pay around here. Most techs get paid with their ego's when we hear the advice we give helped someone. If you insist donate the money to a charity in the name of tech who helped you, or you could donate to this forum.