Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Replace developer in xerox sc2020

Hi, I need to know how to replace the developer in our copier. It's on the low warning for three of the colours. Is there a manual, an online tutorial, some instructions someone could pass on?

thanks,
    Brett

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: Replace developer in xerox sc2020

Quote Originally Posted by steerpike54 View Post
    Hi, I need to know how to replace the developer in our copier. It's on the low warning for three of the colours. Is there a manual, an online tutorial, some instructions someone could pass on? thanks,Brett
    you really need a trained Tech for this... not like toner/drum/fuser

too many adjustments/tests/SM to go thru

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    you really need a trained Tech for this... not like toner/drum/fuser

too many adjustments/tests/SM to go thru

I've been assured for this Xerox it's very simple, 'just pour it in the hole' the guy from China whose selling me the toner said. I thought I'd research it first though.

I've been assured for this Xerox it's very simple, 'just pour it in the hole' the guy from China whose selling me the toner said. I thought I'd research it first though.
    Ahhhh A Salesman?

We Techs know there is only one thing that lies more than a salesman.

A customer with a broken machine!

Seriously....

I think he failed to mention the "CRUM" chip in the toner.
    Then.. did he mention that IF the formulation of the toner is not correct you can have the following issues:......?

Under Toning
    Over Toning
    Developer Issues *damage*
    Drum Issues
    *damage*
    Improper Bonding of toner to page
    Smears
    Fuser Issues *damage*
    Belt Issues *damage*

Besides ( doubtful ) if there is a warranty involved. VOIDED

Ahhhh A Salesman?

We Techs know there is only one thing that lies more than a salesman.

A customer with a broken machine!

Seriously....

I think he failed to mention the "CRUM" chip in the toner.
    Then.. did he mention that IF the formulation of the toner is not correct you can have the following issues:......?

Under Toning
    Over Toning
    Developer Issues *damage*
    Drum Issues
    *damage*
    Improper Bonding of toner to page
    Smears
    Fuser Issues *damage*
    Belt Issues *damage*

Besides ( doubtful ) if there is a warranty involved. VOIDED
    no, he didn't mention any of that. I mis-wrote my previous message, I meant to say the person who is selling me the developer, which is OEM. I have started buying compatible toner from China because it is $60 per cartridge rather than $760 per cartridge. As a small, largely non-profit, press, that is the only way we can realistic print certain things. I'm new to the SC2020 but have tinkered with other printers for many years, this one we got as it can print at 2400 dpi, and surprisingly, the compatible toner (made in Japan) that I got prints just as crisply as the OEM toner. My theory was that this toner won't harm the machine as the developer is a separate consumable, which I can add myself, and the toner is made by a well-established and reputable manufacturer. I'm rolling the dice a little, but hoping for the best. Any insights appreciated. I figured adding the developer won't be quite as straight forward as the salesman suggests, but would be doable.

no, he didn't mention any of that. I mis-wrote my previous message, I meant to say the person who is selling me the developer, which is OEM. I have started buying compatible toner from China because it is $60 per cartridge rather than $760 per cartridge. As a small, largely non-profit, press, that is the only way we can realistic print certain things. I'm new to the SC2020 but have tinkered with other printers for many years, this one we got as it can print at 2400 dpi, and surprisingly, the compatible toner (made in Japan) that I got prints just as crisply as the OEM toner. My theory was that this toner won't harm the machine as the developer is a separate consumable, which I can add myself, and the toner is made by a well-established and reputable manufacturer. I'm rolling the dice a little, but hoping for the best. Any insights appreciated. I figured adding the developer won't be quite as straight forward as the salesman suggests, but would be doable.
    cool add the developer.. then do the proper adjustments.. Oh BTW b4 the adjustments properly clean the unit ( close attention to ROS I sensors on ITB) then adjustments... be careful of chains in -048-171-902

no, he didn't mention any of that. I mis-wrote my previous message, I meant to say the person who is selling me the developer, which is OEM. My theory was that this toner won't harm the machine as the developer is a separate consumable, which I can add myself, and the toner is made by a well-established and reputable manufacturer. .
    BFS.. and WHY do I say this?
    Xerox PUSHES sale of a complete dev unit ( except the higher end FAST units)
    Yes Dev is a separate component.. BUT Xerox holds the PATENT to both the toner and dev formulation.
    IF this guys is selling you that... he is a toner pirate.
    YES compatible TONER -=CAN=- fuck up a unit ( SEARCH the threads here)
    YES compatible TONER in a Xerox unit -=WILL=- void ANY warranty and -=IF=- you call a Licensed Xerox Tech out he WILL blast you with a LARGE $$$ bill and more than likely give you a good stern tongue wagging ( I am a Certified Xerox Tech and an ExService Manager of one of the 3 Xerox Dealers in the RTP area.)

and like I stated in the past ..

It's not just a " POUR-N-GO " job.

But do as you will .. I am done.

BFS.. and WHY do I say this?
    Xerox PUSHES sale of a complete dev unit ( except the higher end FAST units)
    Yes Dev is a separate component.. BUT Xerox holds the PATENT to both the toner and dev formulation.
    IF this guys is selling you that... he is a toner pirate.
    YES compatible TONER -=CAN=- fuck up a unit ( SEARCH the threads here)
    YES compatible TONER in a Xerox unit -=WILL=- void ANY warranty and -=IF=- you call a Licensed Xerox Tech out he WILL blast you with a LARGE $$$ bill and more than likely give you a good stern tongue wagging ( I am a Certified Xerox Tech and an ExService Manager of one of the 3 Xerox Dealers in the RTP area.)

and like I stated in the past ..

It's not just a " POUR-N-GO " job.

But do as you will .. I am done.
    yes, the reason I asked the original question was to be directed to instructions to help add in the developer. I mentioned the developer was OEM, and the toner is made by Tomoegawa, one of the world's largest manufacturers, I'm guessing they're not pirates. I own the Xerox machine and am free to take risks with it. So, I'm still looking for instructions that might help with this particular model, if there are any out there.

yes, the reason I asked the original question was to be directed to instructions to help add in the developer. I mentioned the developer was OEM, and the toner is made by Tomoegawa, one of the world's largest manufacturers, I'm guessing they're not pirates. I own the Xerox machine and am free to take risks with it. So, I'm still looking for instructions that might help with this particular model, if there are any out there.
    Find and pay for the service manual put a request in the appropriate manual request forum.
    if you were a contributor to the site..we might be willing to aid in your quest for the manual

Find and pay for the service manual put a request in the appropriate manual request forum.
    if you were a contributor to the site..we might be willing to aid in your quest for the manual
    I don't know enough about copiers to be a contributor. The service manuals I've looked at for other Xerox copiers (that it is possible to buy separate developer for) don't appear to have detailed instructions on how to refill the developer, perhaps the SC2020 manual does. The seller reckons there are 'instructions in the box' so I will wait for that, and see how it goes.