Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Black toner drop down. Xerox dc 242

Hi.

Recently started to get noticeable black toner drop down on prints and copies.

I have vacced out all of the toner around the dev and drums. Replaced the black drum and dev unit. Cleaned the cleaning unit etc, cleaned the ros units.

The problem remains. The drop down appears in random spots and can be clear for a number of pages before spotting the next 200 pages all in random areas.

Does any one have any suggestions?

Thanks
    Chris

Re: Black toner drop down. Xerox dc 242

Possibly replace the IBT belt Cleaning assembly, if the blade has gone it will continually do this as a build up of toner in the cleaner assembly will let it run seemingly okay for a while. Is it actually black toner or is it dirty toner?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisio View Post
    Hi.

I have vacced out all of the toner around the dev and drums. Replaced the black drum and dev unit. Cleaned the cleaning unit etc, cleaned the ros units.

The problem remains. The drop down appears in random spots and can be clear for a number of pages before spotting the next 200 pages all in random areas.

Thanks
    Chris

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Hi.

Its definitely black toner - I will check the cleaning blade again.

The only other thing is that one of the black toners is empty but still installed however I can't see how that an empty toner would cause this.

I have checked the drum/dev unit again and its totally clean so not coming from the drum or the dev unit. It seems to be coming from above there which would leave the toners?

I have a couple of new toners coming tomorrow for it so I will swap both out and see what happens.

Cheers
    Chris

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Black toner drop down.  Xerox dc 242

First do deep machine cleanning, then clean, better replace all machine filters.
    After that print both sides few blank A3 sheets of paper in full color mode then same procedure with print in BW mode.
    Watch what is happen.

msbhatti777

Hi.

Thanks
    Chris
    Hi Chris,

all the initial actions has been taken by you are good. Needs to check the following.

1. Check the Black Exhaust Pipe, right below the Developer Housing.
    2. Check the Black Developer Bias Point/contacts.
    3. Try to change the Black HVPS Developer and Drum.
    4. Check the toner might be expired or needs to be replace (if old than needs to clean the Toner Dispenser Unit thoroughly)

Hopefully you will get the problem resolved.

Hi.

Its definitely black toner - I will check the cleaning blade again.

The only other thing is that one of the black toners is empty but still installed however I can't see how that an empty toner would cause this.

I have checked the drum/dev unit again and its totally clean so not coming from the drum or the dev unit. It seems to be coming from above there which would leave the toners?

I have a couple of new toners coming tomorrow for it so I will swap both out and see what happens.

Cheers
    Chris
    Have a look at the drum drawer, pull back the black panel that covers the toner chute into the dev housing. There are 2 arms on here that should close round the toner cartridge and open the toner so it can fall out of there. sometimes these snap off, especially in older machines, so when you pull the drawer out and in it doesn't close the toner properly. Meaning that toner can fall out when it sould not.

Hi.

Thanks
    Chris
    Hello Christ.
    Occasionally the toner crystallizes due
    to temperature effects and contaminates the
    development unit, this causes random spots in the prints.
    If this is your case it will be necessary to clean the
    toner dispenser unit and change the black developer and toner

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Hi.

Thanks for the help everyone. I haven't pulled the machine apart to clean it all down just yet as things are busy at the minute but since replacing both black toners with brand new ones the drop down has cleared up after about 1000 - 1500 pages. Im not sure if one of the old toners had a micro crack in it causing it to leak slowly out or if the replacement dev/drum fixed the issue and its just taken some time to clear out. I still plan on pulling the toner hoppers out over the weekend and vaccing out from the top down.

Thanks
    Chris